Compute <z,w>: Formula & Result

• Thread starter squaremeplz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about computing the complex inner product <z,w> for given complex numbers z and w. The formula used in the attempt at a solution is incorrect, and the correct formula for the complex inner product is explained.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

Compute <z,w> for z = [ (1+i)/2 , (1-i)/2 ], w = [ i/sqrt(2) , -1/sqrt(2) ]

2. Equations

<z , w> = z1 * w1 + 2 * z2 * w2

where w1 and w2 have the conjugate sign over them.

The Attempt at a Solution

<z, w> = (1+i)/2 * (-i/sqrt(2)) + 2 * ((1-i)/2) (-1/sqrt(2))

= -sqrt(2)/4 + sqrt(2)/4 * i

Is the formula I used correct for this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Squaremeplease

I'm not sure what your formula is or why there is a 2 in it... did your formula come from somewhere, or are you supposed to use it for some reason?

the usual complex inner product is defined as
[tex] <u,v> = \sum u_i v_i* [/tex]

1. What does "Compute : Formula & Result" mean?

"Compute : Formula & Result" is a phrase used in mathematics and computer science to indicate that a certain calculation or operation is being performed. The "z" and "w" represent variables or values that are being used in the calculation, and the "formula" refers to the specific mathematical equation or algorithm being used. The "result" is the final answer or output of the computation.

2. How do you compute : Formula & Result?

The specific method for computing : Formula & Result will depend on the type of calculation being performed and the tools or software being used. Generally, it involves following the steps of the formula or algorithm and plugging in the given values for "z" and "w" to obtain the final result. This may involve basic arithmetic operations, complex equations, or programming code.

3. What is the purpose of computing : Formula & Result?

The purpose of computing : Formula & Result is to obtain a numerical or mathematical solution to a problem or question. This can be used in a variety of fields, including science, engineering, finance, and statistics, to analyze and understand data, make predictions, and solve complex problems.

4. Can the same formula be used to compute different pairs?

Yes, depending on the specific formula and the values of "z" and "w," the same formula can be used to compute different pairs. This is because the formula is a general representation of a mathematical relationship, and the values of "z" and "w" can be changed to produce different results.

5. Are there any limitations to computing : Formula & Result?

Yes, there may be limitations to computing : Formula & Result, depending on the complexity of the formula and the tools or software being used. Some calculations may require a large amount of computational power or specialized software, and others may have certain assumptions or restrictions that must be met in order for the computation to be accurate.