Computer Programmer going back to school for Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of individuals pursuing physics degrees without a background in computer science or programming, as well as the reverse situation of individuals with a CS background looking to get into physics. The individual speaking is a computer programmer interested in pursuing a degree in physics, but lacks the necessary math and science knowledge. They are considering options such as computational physics and computer modeling, but are open to exploring other areas of physics that may be a good fit for their CS experience. They also inquire about the need for a PhD in research programming and whether engineering may be a better fit for them. The conversation ends with a mention of the individual's love for programming and their goal to find a more interesting programming job.
cpdavngr
It seems there are a lot of posts on here about people pursuing physics degrees without having a CS or programming background. However, I couldn't find any concerning people coming from the CS/Programming world looking to get into Physics.
This is me. :)
I'm a computer programmer who's looking to get a degree in physics. I already know computers inside and out and know many different programming languages and pick up on new ones very quickly. Unfortunately, I don't have the math and science knowledge (or bachelor's degree) to apply my IT knowledge and experience to what I really would like do which I believe is some sort of research programming. Although I never had it in high school, Physics interests me because I love solving problems, love math, and love learning new things and feel I could make some sort of positive contribution to this world by applying my knowledge to science. I currently work in a cube writing programs to generate financial reports for a large corporation. This is NOT what I'm interested in! ;)

Anyway, I've considered computational physics and computer modeling. Both of of these sound interesting and appropriate for me. However, I'm guessing there are many other things out there in the world of Physics for someone with CS experience that I haven't considered. I'm currently taking basic core requirements classes to transfer to another school. I'm now at the point where I need to figure out what direction I want to go.
Unfortunately, with a family and such, I'm not sure if I would have time to pursue a PhD so I'd probably end up with a bachelors. So here are my questions:

Do I need a PhD to do research programming? Can I get by with a Bachelor's?
What other areas of physics might I have overlooked that might be interesting to me?
Physics or Engineering? From what I've read, it sounds like engineering for me, but I'm not sure.
I'd welcome any other questions I may have overlooked.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I apologize if I missed this type of post while searching through the forums.

Thanks in advance!

-Ralph :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I did a physics degree, did some research programming (without the PhD), and then eventually wound up developing educational software for computer scientists -- no physics but it was actually more fun than the physics programming stuff! So maybe you just need a more interesting programming job. Or a change of attitude? Writing programs to generate financial reports involves a lot of the same things as writing physics programs -- you still have to do software design, debugging, etc. If you hate design, programming & debugging then maybe you need to get out of programming. If you like it, then just think about the programming and forget that it's aimed at a rather mundane product...

I guess I forgot to mention that I also LOVE programming. :) Always have since I was a kid. I was that guy in the computer department everyone would go to when they needed help with their programs because 90% of the IT students in my class hated programming.
Getting a more interesting programming job is what I'm trying to do. I had a few opportunities for more scientific programming jobs, but they all required much more advanced math and/or science skills than I had. I also only have a "specialized" associate degree from a computer tech school which is actually pretty useless when it comes to transferring credits to other schools, not to mention the fact that many employers look for Bachelor degrees or higher only.
My work is paying for me to go to school so my basic goal is to get a "normal" degree in anything and Physics and Mathematics seemed most interesting to me. I don't want to go the IT route because I already have 10 years of IT experience under my belt in various capacities.
BTW, developing educational software for computer scientists sounds wonderful!

Thanks!

-Ralph

mal4mac said:
I did a physics degree, did some research programming (without the PhD), and then eventually wound up developing educational software for computer scientists -- no physics but it was actually more fun than the physics programming stuff! So maybe you just need a more interesting programming job. Or a change of attitude? Writing programs to generate financial reports involves a lot of the same things as writing physics programs -- you still have to do software design, debugging, etc. If you hate design, programming & debugging then maybe you need to get out of programming. If you like it, then just think about the programming and forget that it's aimed at a rather mundane product...

What is the reason for a computer programmer to go back to school for Physics?

A computer programmer may choose to go back to school for Physics to enhance their understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe. They may also be interested in applying their programming skills to the field of Physics, such as developing simulations or analyzing data.

What skills from computer programming can transfer to Physics?

Computer programming involves problem-solving, critical thinking, and strong mathematical skills, all of which are essential in the field of Physics. Additionally, programming languages such as Python and Java are commonly used in Physics for data analysis and simulations.

What challenges may a computer programmer face when transitioning to Physics?

One challenge may be adjusting to a different way of thinking and problem-solving in the field of Physics. Computer programmers may also need to learn new programming languages and concepts specific to Physics, such as quantum mechanics or particle physics.

What career opportunities are available for a computer programmer with a Physics degree?

A computer programmer with a Physics degree may have a wide range of career opportunities, including working in research labs, developing software for scientific applications, or teaching at a university. They may also have the option to pursue graduate studies in Physics or related fields.

How can a computer programmer prepare for a degree in Physics?

A computer programmer can prepare for a degree in Physics by taking courses in mathematics, physics, and programming. They can also seek out internships or research opportunities in physics-related fields to gain practical experience and further their understanding of the subject.