Computer science minor - yes or no?

In summary, the person is considering whether or not to minor in CS, and is considering whether or not their skills in programming would be beneficial to their career.
FancyNut
I'm planning for the fall semester in which I'll start taking classes that'll count for a CS minor. The thing is, I'm not sure if I need it or not. I'm an Electrical Engineer. I heard people tell me to take more programming classes than the usual EE program the school offers. Many people double major EE/CS.

However, is this only beneficial because it'll give me a better 'understanding' of how everything works? I mean will I use most of the stuff I'll learn, like intro to software engineering and intro to operating systems?

Which is better: take a CS minor, or use those 22 units to take other Engineering classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of 2 EE friends of mine, about 15 years into their careers, one moved into project management and the other does a lot of firmware programming. The one that is a PM now did a lot of coding for hardware test systems; no doubt his coding skills helped his career. For your decision, try to gauge how much you like coding; if you do then a CS minor would give you another career option, for jobs available in every metropolitan area.

Im not a EE, but a ME, but I have a previous minor in CS. From my previuos experience and current experience I suggest taking 22 units in other engineering classes. Find a sub speciality in EE and see if you can focus on that via your classes.

EDIT- that is, studying to be an ME

Last edited:
Take some of those classes and see how much you like programming. If you develop a taste for it, then get the minor.

Thanks for the replies. And yeah I was thinking after fall I'll have a better idea of whether I like programming so we'll see. Though even if I don't like it, I'll take it if it's important.

I was just looking at some other schools' EE programs, and they too only have one 'intro to programming for EE' course. Before looking into it I thought my school just isn't preparing its student well enough so I started thinking about a CS minor.

I plan to major is EE or dual in ECE and I was wondering if I should minor in CS too, I'm definitely familiar with programming (from self-study) and I was wondering if this was a way to receive some credit for work I've done. I want to work in something where the hardware and low-level software meets, so would ECE/CS be appropriate?

1. Should I pursue a computer science minor?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. A computer science minor can provide valuable skills and knowledge that can complement your major and make you more competitive in the job market.

2. Will a computer science minor be too difficult?

It can be challenging, especially if you have no prior experience with coding or programming. However, with dedication and hard work, it is definitely achievable. Many universities also offer support and resources for students pursuing a computer science minor.

3. How will a computer science minor benefit me?

A computer science minor can benefit you in several ways, such as developing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, understanding technology and its applications, and increasing your employability in a variety of industries.

4. Can I still get a job in the tech industry without a computer science minor?

Yes, a computer science minor is not a requirement for a job in the tech industry. However, having a solid understanding of computer science concepts can give you a competitive advantage and open up more job opportunities.

5. Is a computer science minor worth the time and effort?

Again, it depends on your personal goals and interests. If you are passionate about technology and want to enhance your skills in this field, then a computer science minor can definitely be worth the time and effort. However, if you have no interest in computer science, it may not be the best use of your time and energy.