Computing area of equilateral triangle on a sphere

In summary, the problem asks to compute the area of an equilateral triangle on a sphere with radius R = 1 by using the result from a previous problem and the inclusion-exclusion principle. The result is found to be A = π/2 by assuming that all angles in the equilateral triangle are 90 degrees. However, the answer may vary if a different angle is chosen. The use of an orange and a knife in the problem is unclear and requires further explanation.
tainted

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]T[/itex] is an equilateral triangle on the sphere of radius [itex]R = 1[/itex]. Let [itex] \alpha [/itex] denote the angle at any of the three vertices’s of the triangle. (Recall that [itex] 3\alpha > n[/itex].) Use the result of the last problem on the previous homework and the inclusion - exclusion principle (together with an orange and a knife) to compute the area of [itex]T[/itex] .

Homework Equations

The result to the last problem on the previous homework is [itex]A = \alpha2R^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that all angle on the equilateral triangle where 90 degrees or [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]; therefore making the volume equal to 1/8 that of the whole sphere

So I did
[itex]A = \alpha2R^2[/itex] where [itex]A[/itex] is the area of [itex]T[/itex]
[itex]A = \frac{\pi}{2}2R^2[/itex]
[itex]A = \pi*R^2[/itex] That would be the area of 1/4 of the sphere overall, but because I am taking the area of an equilateral triangle, I took half of that to get
[itex]A = \frac{\pi}{2}R^2[/itex]
[itex]A = \frac{\pi}{2}*1[/itex]
[itex]A = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

Would that be correct? I just kind of picked 90 degrees or [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] for [itex]\alpha[/itex], but I assume it could be anything between 60 and up to 90 degrees which would change my answer. How do I know which angle to pick?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am concerned that my answer will be completely different if I used an angle other than 90 degrees. Also I do not know what an orange and knife have to do with this problem.

You are supposed to do it for ANY angle using inclusion/exclusion. Look at the pictures here: http://planetmath.org/AreaOfASphericalTriangle.html Just look at the pictures, ignore the solution and try to work it out for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the area of an equilateral triangle on a sphere calculated?

The area of an equilateral triangle on a sphere is calculated using the formula A = R^2 * sin(theta) * (π/3), where R is the radius of the sphere and theta is the central angle of the triangle in radians.

2. Can the same formula be used to calculate the area of any triangle on a sphere?

No, the formula for calculating the area of an equilateral triangle on a sphere is specific to equilateral triangles. For other types of triangles, different formulas must be used.

3. Are there any limitations to using this formula for calculating the area of an equilateral triangle on a sphere?

Yes, this formula assumes that the triangle is small in comparison to the size of the sphere. For larger triangles, the formula may not be accurate and other methods, such as spherical trigonometry, may need to be used.

4. Is the area of an equilateral triangle on a sphere affected by the size of the sphere?

Yes, the area of an equilateral triangle on a sphere is directly proportional to the square of the radius of the sphere. As the radius increases, the area also increases.

5. Can this formula be used to calculate the area of an equilateral triangle on any type of sphere?

Yes, as long as the sphere is a perfect sphere (i.e. has a constant radius) and the triangle is inscribed on the surface of the sphere, this formula can be used to calculate the area of an equilateral triangle on any type of sphere.