1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing area of equilateral triangle on a sphere

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [itex]T[/itex] is an equilateral triangle on the sphere of radius [itex]R = 1[/itex]. Let [itex] \alpha [/itex] denote the angle at any of the three vertices’s of the triangle. (Recall that [itex] 3\alpha > n[/itex].) Use the result of the last problem on the previous homework and the inclusion - exclusion principle (together with an orange and a knife) to compute the area of [itex]T[/itex] .

2. Relevant equations

The result to the last problem on the previous homework is [itex]A = \alpha2R^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assumed that all angle on the equilateral triangle where 90 degrees or [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]; therefore making the volume equal to 1/8 that of the whole sphere

So I did
    [itex]A = \alpha2R^2[/itex] where [itex]A[/itex] is the area of [itex]T[/itex]
    [itex]A = \frac{\pi}{2}2R^2[/itex]
    [itex]A = \pi*R^2[/itex] That would be the area of 1/4 of the sphere overall, but because I am taking the area of an equilateral triangle, I took half of that to get
    [itex]A = \frac{\pi}{2}R^2[/itex]
    [itex]A = \frac{\pi}{2}*1[/itex]
    [itex]A = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

Would that be correct? I just kind of picked 90 degrees or [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] for [itex]\alpha[/itex], but I assume it could be anything between 60 and up to 90 degrees which would change my answer. How do I know which angle to pick?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2
    I am concerned that my answer will be completely different if I used an angle other than 90 degrees. Also I do not know what an orange and knife have to do with this problem.

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are supposed to do it for ANY angle using inclusion/exclusion. Look at the pictures here: http://planetmath.org/AreaOfASphericalTriangle.html [Broken] Just look at the pictures, ignore the solution and try to work it out for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook