COMSOL HELP (Eigenfrequency Analysis) Micro-rotor

In summary: CFD is complex and takes a lot of knowledge and experience. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.In summary, In order to perform an eigenfrequency analysis for an electrostatic micro-rotor, someone needs to take in consideration the effects of the surrounding air.
bilz
Hello Everyone,

I'm new with comsol and would appreciate some help from anyone willing to help me out.

Ok so here's my question, I'm trying to perform an Eigenfrequency Analysis for an electrostatic micro-rotor. The problem is I want to take in consideration the effects of the surrounding air as well, so does anyway know how can I set up the ambient surrounding the rotor to be AIR.

I'm really thankful, in advance, to anyone who responds.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok maybe I should formulate the question all over again. It doesn't matter what kind of device it is, in my case it is a micro-rotor but it can be a cantilever or anything. The question is how to set up the AIR around the device while performing an Eigenfrequency analysis using COMSOL...

I may be speaking from ignorance of what exactly you are trying to accomplish, but including aerodynamic/fluid affects on a vibrating object is a very complex problem that I doubt you could just plug into a computer and expect a reasonable answer. The best I think you would be able to accomplish would probably be an approximation with the air acting as a damper.

The problem lies in the fact that the boundaries for the coupled CFD problem will be moving.

I'm wondering though if someone else has more experience in this matter.

I am not sure of what exactly you were talking about either. But yes i want to take into account the effects of air damping while performing the eigenfrequency analysis...

Anyone??

No one? please I am really in trouble over here... I really need to know how to perform the eigenfrequency analysis in air. because if I perform the normal eigenfrequency analysis in comsol it would be like in vacuum... i need the surrounding atmosphere to be air...

PLEASE HELP!

As was already stated, your best bet is probably to try doing a multiphysics analysis coupling CFD with the frequency response.

Your only other possibility would be to try and come up with an approximation for the part's damping coefficient in air and plugging that into the harmonic response simulation. The real question is really whether you need to get numbers, or you need to get the correct numbers...

Mech_Engineer said:
As was already stated, your best bet is probably to try doing a multiphysics analysis coupling CFD with the frequency response.

Your only other possibility would be to try and come up with an approximation for the part's damping coefficient in air and plugging that into the harmonic response simulation. The real question is really whether you need to get numbers, or you need to get the correct numbers...

I saw your comments for the question about the cantilever beam, in which someone was trying to obtain the eigenfrequencies of the cantilever, as i understand these eigenfrequencies and eigenmodes oof the cantilever in vacuum right? i want to do exactly the same thing (which i already did) but this time considering the air not in vacuum...

I'm sorry but what do you exactly mean by coupling CFD with the frequency response?
Thanks for your replies I truly appreciate it.

Last edited:
CFD is computational fluid dynamics- a.k.a. finite element anlysis for fluids. CFD can be used to solve for fluid flows for temperature, pressure, velocity, etc.

I don't personally use COMSOL (I did see it demoed), my company uses ANSYS Multiphysics.

If you are using COMSOL Multiphysics (not COMSOL mechanical or structural, whatever the regular mechanical package is called), it's biggest strength is that it can "couple" different physical phenomenea. For a CFD example, you could solve for the temperature of a part with a flow of hot air blowing over it (CFD-Thermal) or how much a part deflects in a high-velocity stream of air (CFD-Structural). Applications can go into other realms as well. For example modeling the inductive heating of a metal bar (EM-Thermal) can be done, as well as things like thermal expansion/deflection (Thermal-Structural).

In your case, I would think you can couple a harmonic-response problem with CFD to see no only what happens to the part, but what happens to the air around it. COMSOL will essentially solve the two separate problems like a set of simultaneous equations with continuity conditions. Just so you know, it may take a long time to solve, depending on your available computing horsepower.

It's important to note, CFD is not an easy thing to implement. It takes a good amount of knowledge in fluid dynamics as well as the specific software package's nuances. If you're not sure what you're doing, the numbers you get may not be anything close to reality, and the software has no way to know that.

Thanks a lot for your reply, comments and suggestions. I understand it is not an easy task, especially to couple the harmonic response with CFD and that it will take a lot of computing resources... I was thinking just out of the top of my head, what if I just draw a volume surrounding the rotor (or any structure) and assign to it the properties of air and solve for the eigenfrequencies... what do you think about that? what would i get?

bilz said:
...what if I just draw a volume surrounding the rotor (or any structure) and assign to it the properties of air and solve for the eigenfrequencies... what do you think about that? what would i get?

As in treat the air as a soft solid surrounding the part? No, that's won't work. Now if you're talking about drawing a volume and then using a CFD analysis on it, that's exactly what you will have to do.

1. What is Eigenfrequency Analysis in COMSOL?

Eigenfrequency analysis in COMSOL is a numerical method used to calculate the natural frequencies and corresponding vibration modes of a structure or system. In the context of a micro-rotor, it can be used to determine the rotational frequencies at which the rotor will naturally vibrate.

2. How is Eigenfrequency Analysis performed in COMSOL?

To perform Eigenfrequency Analysis in COMSOL, the user must first create a model of the micro-rotor system and define its properties, such as material properties, boundary conditions, and geometry. The software then uses finite element analysis to solve the equations of motion and determine the natural frequencies and mode shapes of the system.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of Eigenfrequency Analysis in COMSOL?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of Eigenfrequency Analysis in COMSOL, including the complexity of the model, the chosen mesh size, and the accuracy of the material properties and boundary conditions defined by the user. It is important to carefully define and validate these parameters to ensure accurate results.

4. Can Eigenfrequency Analysis be used to optimize the design of a micro-rotor?

Yes, Eigenfrequency Analysis can be used to optimize the design of a micro-rotor. By varying the geometry, material properties, and other parameters, the user can determine the natural frequencies of the system for different designs and select the one with the desired frequency range or mode shapes.

5. Are there any limitations to Eigenfrequency Analysis in COMSOL?

Like any numerical method, Eigenfrequency Analysis in COMSOL has some limitations. It assumes linear behavior and small deformations, so it may not accurately predict the frequencies of highly nonlinear systems. Additionally, it relies on accurate input parameters and assumptions, so careful validation is necessary for reliable results.