1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentration Problem

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1

KD

While waiting for my other post to be moved, I'm putting this question up again.
    25.00 mL of .1857 M Ba(OH)2 reacts with 30.00mL of .2228M NiSO4. Find the concentration of all ions after the reaction assuming that final volume is the sum of the initial volumes.
    Ba(OH)2 + NiSO4 -> BaSO4 + Ni(OH)2
    The answer is .03629M Ni2+ and .03629M SO42- [Ba2+] = [OH-] is about zero. How are these answers found? How would the concentrations change after the reaction? Please help. No specifics are needed just a general guide to figure this out. I may regret saying that. :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What will precipitate, effectively removing ions from the solution?

4. Jan 15, 2006 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show your work

-First find the initial concentrations.

-Use the reaction equation to account for stoichiometry, but first you'll need to consider the solubility constant of ____

-Using the solubility constant equation, find the final concentrations.

5. Jan 16, 2006 #4

KD

Okay, I get it now. Thanks for your help. To solve this I set up an ICE chart. Since Ba(OH)2 is the limiting reactant, all the moles of that will be used. So I would subtract those moles from the moles of the NiSO4 and divide that by .055 L (the total volume) to get the concentration. I don't have my book right in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that is what I did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?