1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept/Derivation for total electric potential energy of two concentric spheres

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    What will be the total electric potential energy of two concentric spheres.

Will it be
    = [P.E. of Inner sphere] + [ P.E. of Outer sphere] + [ Energy required to bring outer sphere from infinity to the present position(i.e. position concentric to inner sphere) ]

OR it

Will it be
    = [P.E. of Inner sphere] + [ P.E. of Outer sphere] + [ Energy required to bring outer sphere from infinity to the present position(i.e. position concentric to inner sphere) ]
    +[ Energy required to bring inner sphere from infinity to the present position(i.e. position concentric to outer sphere sphere) ]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2

clem

Science Advisor

PE=(1/2)[Q1 V1 + Q2 V2], where V1 is potential on sphere 1 due to both spheres.
    This is for conducting spheres. If not conducting, you have to integrate over eadh surfqce.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    Thank you very much, I got it:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook