Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept/Derivation for total electric potential energy of two concentric spheres

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    What will be the total electric potential energy of two concentric spheres.

Will it be
    = [P.E. of Inner sphere] + [ P.E. of Outer sphere] + [ Energy required to bring outer sphere from infinity to the present position(i.e. position concentric to inner sphere) ]

OR it

Will it be
    = [P.E. of Inner sphere] + [ P.E. of Outer sphere] + [ Energy required to bring outer sphere from infinity to the present position(i.e. position concentric to inner sphere) ]
    +[ Energy required to bring inner sphere from infinity to the present position(i.e. position concentric to outer sphere sphere) ]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2

clem

Science Advisor

PE=(1/2)[Q1 V1 + Q2 V2], where V1 is potential on sphere 1 due to both spheres.
    This is for conducting spheres. If not conducting, you have to integrate over eadh surfqce.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    Thank you very much, I got it:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook