Total electric potential energy

In summary, when calculating the total potential energy for multiple point charges, it is important to only consider the distances between each pair of charges once, as counting them twice would result in an incorrect calculation. This can be seen in the example of two charges, where the work done in moving one charge into place would be counted twice if both R12 and R21 were included. This principle also applies when adding additional charges to the system.
betelgeuse91

Homework Statement

My textbook states that for point charges ##q_1, q_2, ... ,## where distance between ##q_i## and ##q_j## is ##r_{ij},## the total potential energy U is the sum ## U = \dfrac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \sum_{i<j} \dfrac{q_iq_j}{r_{ij}} ## and specifically mentions not to count them twice as (i,j) and (j,i), but I don't see why.

Homework Equations

Potential energy of a point charge ##q_i## is ##U_i = \dfrac{q_i}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\sum_{i \neq j}\dfrac{q_j}{r_j} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation, I think the total potential energy should be ## U = \dfrac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \sum \dfrac{q_iq_j}{r_{ij}} ##, counting both cases (i,j) and (j,i). For instance, when there are two point charges ##q_1## and ##q_2##, the potential energies of individuals is ##U_1 = \dfrac{q_1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\dfrac{q_2}{r_{12}}##, ##U_2 = \dfrac{q_2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\dfrac{q_1}{r_{21}}## so that the total potential energy is the sum ## U = U_1 + U_2 = \dfrac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \sum_{1\leqslant i,j\leqslant2} \dfrac{q_iq_j}{r_{ij}} ## which counts both the cases (1,2) and (2,1).
Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
This condition should add to the last equation: ##i\neq j##

Suppose you have only 2 charges.
The work done in moving charge 1 into place is zero.
Then you can move charge 2 into place by doing work that depends on R12.
So you don't need R21, since you would be counting the work twice.
Further, if you add an additional charge then the additional work done
depends on R13 and R23 and you don't need to count R31 and R32.

Likes SammyS

Related to Total electric potential energy

What is total electric potential energy?

Total electric potential energy is the sum of the potential energies of all the individual charges in a system. It represents the amount of energy that is required to bring all the charges to their respective positions in a given electric field.

How is total electric potential energy calculated?

Total electric potential energy is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of each charge by the electric potential at its position, and then summing all of these values for each charge in the system.

What is the unit of measurement for total electric potential energy?

The unit of measurement for total electric potential energy is the joule (J), which is also the unit for all forms of energy.

What factors affect the total electric potential energy of a system?

The total electric potential energy of a system is affected by the number and magnitude of charges present, as well as the distance between them. It is also affected by the strength of the electric field in which the charges are located.

How is total electric potential energy related to electric potential and electric field?

Total electric potential energy is directly related to both electric potential and electric field. Electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge, while electric field is the force per unit charge. Therefore, the potential energy of a charge in an electric field can be calculated by multiplying the electric potential by the charge, or by multiplying the electric field by the distance the charge is moved in the field.