Why is the current the same in resistors connected in series?

In summary, when resistors are connected in series, the total current is the same for all resistors, even if they have different resistances. This is similar to how the same amount of water flows through a hose with a kink as without, as the electrons must go through all resistors in the circuit. Greater resistance does not necessarily mean less current in a series circuit.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

Hi. This isn't exactly a homework question but a concept question. So when resistors are connected in series, I know that I total= I1=I2=I3...etc...

but if the resistors are different i don't understand how the current can be the same, even if they are in series...

like, if you have a 2R resistor and a 9R resistor, connected in series, why would the current through each resistor be the same? Why wouldn't the current be less for the 9R resistor? I thought greater resistance meant less current!

i just DON'T understand!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Tell me, if you turn on the water to your hose and let it all flow out, how much water is flowing out then compared to if you put a little kink in it? Think about it a little, and after that listen to what I have to say. The answer is that is, of course, the same amount of water comes out in both cases. When the water goes through that little kink there might be a little more power in the water because it is forced to go through such a small space, too much of a kink and the hose might even burst. In the end, however, the same amount of water that was there before the kink has to still be there after. Where would it go otherwise? It's the same with the resistors connected in series. Instead of a flow of water, you have a flow of electrons. The electrons might prefer to go through the 2R resistor than the 9R resistor, but they really don't have any choice because they have to go through both regardless.

What is current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, measured in amperes (A).

How is current measured?

Current is measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit.

What factors affect the amount of current in a circuit?

The amount of current in a circuit is affected by the applied voltage, the resistance of the circuit, and the properties of the conductor (such as its material and thickness).

What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) flows in both directions, while DC (direct current) flows in only one direction.

How is current related to voltage and resistance?

According to Ohm's Law, current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance. This means that as voltage increases, current increases, and as resistance increases, current decreases.