Solving Goldstein Problems: Point Mass vs. Hoop on Fixed Hemisphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the findings of solving two of Goldstein's problems, specifically involving a point mass and a hoop on a fixed hemisphere under the influence of a g field. It is found that the point mass leaves the sphere at a smaller angle than the hoop, which is due to the fact that the point mass has all its energy in kinetic energy of translation while the hoop also has energy in kinetic energy of rotation. The presence of friction can also affect the behavior, but without friction the angles would be equal.
robb_
I just solved two of Goldstein problems. let me give you the gist.
1. A point mass is on a fixed hemisphere under the influence of a g field.
2. A hoop is on a fixed hemisphere under the influence of a g field.

I have found the equations of motion, etc... no probs there.
I found that the point mass will leave the sphere at a smaller angle than the hoop. Here the angle is measured w.r.t the vertical.
I would not have guesed this and am wondering if anyone has a good conceptual explanation for this. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume the hoop is rolling without slipping down the hemisphere (there is friction present).

In any case, gravity provides the centripetal force. But at some point the object is going too fast for the radial component of gravity to provide enough force to keep it in contact with the sphere. But note that the hoop rolls as well as translates--thus it takes longer to build up enough speed. (It's change in gravitational PE must support rotation as well as translation.)

robb_ said:
I just solved two of Goldstein problems. let me give you the gist.
1. A point mass is on a fixed hemisphere under the influence of a g field.
2. A hoop is on a fixed hemisphere under the influence of a g field.

I have found the equations of motion, etc... no probs there.
I found that the point mass will leave the sphere at a smaller angle than the hoop. Here the angle is measured w.r.t the vertical.
I would not have guesed this and am wondering if anyone has a good conceptual explanation for this. thanks

I would say that this is reasonable given that at any given angle, the point mass is moving faster than the hoop. The reason is of course th emoment of inertia of the hoop, some energy goes into kinetic energy of rotation, leaving less for kinetic energy of translation. In the case of the point mass, all the energy goes into kinetic energy of translation.

My two cents.

Patrick

The hoop rolls without slipping as stated in the problem. (Funny though, it turns out that friction will not be large enough to keep it from slipping after a certain angle which can be less than the angle at which the hoop leaves the surface.)
So if I follow the reasoning above, I would guess that for a frictionless hemisphere the angles would be equal?

robb_ said:
The hoop rolls without slipping as stated in the problem. (Funny though, it turns out that friction will not be large enough to keep it from slipping after a certain angle which can be less than the angle at which the hoop leaves the surface.)
Right--slipping complicates things, but doesn't change the fact that at any given angle the hoop will be moving slower than the point mass.

So if I follow the reasoning above, I would guess that for a frictionless hemisphere the angles would be equal?
That's what I'd say. Without friction the hoop will not rotate, so its speed will match that of the point mass.

Thank you greatly.

1. What is the difference between a point mass and a hoop on a fixed hemisphere?

A point mass is a mathematical concept representing a mass that is concentrated at a single point, while a hoop on a fixed hemisphere is a physical object with a circular shape that is fixed at the edge of a hemisphere.

2. How do you solve Goldstein problems involving point mass vs. hoop on fixed hemisphere?

To solve these problems, you need to use the principles of mechanics and apply them to the specific scenario. This involves understanding the forces acting on the objects, using equations of motion, and applying conservation of energy and momentum.

3. Can you provide an example of a Goldstein problem involving point mass vs. hoop on fixed hemisphere?

An example could be a point mass sliding down a frictionless fixed hemisphere, while a hoop is rolling down the same hemisphere. The question may ask for the final velocities of both objects at the bottom of the hemisphere.

4. What are some challenges when solving Goldstein problems involving point mass vs. hoop on fixed hemisphere?

Some challenges may include accurately identifying and representing all the forces acting on the objects, properly setting up equations of motion, and correctly applying conservation principles. Additionally, understanding the geometry of the problem and visualizing the motion can also be challenging.

5. Are there any real-world applications of these types of problems?

Yes, these types of problems can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as analyzing the motion of objects rolling down curved surfaces, calculating the trajectories of projectiles, or studying the behavior of objects in circular motion. These principles are also important in the fields of engineering and physics.