Conceptual Problem about Capacitance

In summary: V. So in summary, if we have a parallel plate capacitor and we double the distance between the plates while keeping the charge Q on the plates fixed. What will happen to:-The capacitance-The potential difference-The Electric Field between the Plates-The Stored Energy
sj005
I think I know the answers to the question I am going to ask but I am just going to make sure. This is going to be quite simple for most of the experts here so here goes:

If we have a parallel plate capacitor and we double the distance between the plates while keeping the charge Q on the plates fixed. What will happen to:

a)The Capacitance
b)The Potential Difference
c)The Electric Field between the Plates
d)The Stored Energy

I studied the formulas/concepts and the answers I predicted were

a) The capacitance will be halved
b) The potential difference will double
c) The electric field will double
d) The energy stored will be twice as much

Are my answers correct or are they completely off?

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi sj005! welcome to pf! :smile:
sj005 said:
Are my answers correct …

maybe! :biggrin:

give reasons (ie a quick equation in each case) :wink:

Welcome to world of physics!

I think you are correct. Using derived equations C=Aε0/d and U=1/2CV^2.

Thanks for the welcome message guys :). I've heard a lot about Physics Forums-everyone tells me its awesome :D. In reply to tiny-tim, I derived my answers from these formulas:

a)C=Aε0/d - Capacitance is based on the geometry. The area of the plates didn't change, and the permitivity of free space ε0 is a constant so if the distance is doubled, the capacitance would become half its initial value.
b)Q=CV - The capacitance was halved(part a) so if the charge Q is to remain the same(as stated in the problem), the voltage V must become twice its original value.
c)This one seems most confusing to me and I just considered that the electric field varies according to the voltage. I don't think I got this one right.
d) E(stored energy)=(1/2)(C)(V^2) so if the capacitance is halved and the voltage doubles, we could write it as 1/2(C/2)(2V)^2 which would become
=(C/4)(2^2)(V^2)
=(C/4)(4)(V^2)
The 4 cancels in the numerator and denominator leaving:
=(C)(V^2) which is twice the original stored energy

Is my way on thinking correct or should I consider using more physical reasoning or perhaps different formulas?

To sj005:

How do you account for the extra energy stored in the capacitor?

hi sj005! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

a) fine :smile: (except more generally you can say C=Aε/d, for a general dielectric)

b) fine, though you can also get V directly as ∫ E dx

c) no, E = D/ε, which depends only on Q and A … see your book, or the PF Library on capacitor

d) fine, but learn the other formulas such as 1/2 QV :wink:

Thanks again tiny tim :) . I guess I do need to go back to my book and study the concepts a little more. :D

tiny-tim said:
hi sj005! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

a) fine :smile: (except more generally you can say C=Aε/d, for a general dielectric)

b) fine, though you can also get V directly as ∫ E dx

c) no, E = D/ε, which depends only on Q and A … see your book, or the PF Library on capacitor

d) fine, but learn the other formulas such as 1/2 QV :wink:

Sorry, I didn't read the third one carefully. In capacitors, electric field is uniform, so E=V/d. As V and d both doubled (as you sad yourself), E is constant, no need for other formulae.

The last, equation actually derives E=1/2CV^2 via substituting Q=CV

Related to Conceptual Problem about Capacitance

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is calculated by dividing the amount of charge stored by the potential difference between the two conductors.

2. How is capacitance different from resistance?

Capacitance and resistance are both properties of a circuit, but they have different functions. Resistance limits the flow of current, while capacitance stores electrical charge. Resistance is measured in ohms while capacitance is measured in farads.

3. How does the distance between two conductors affect capacitance?

The closer the two conductors are, the higher the capacitance will be. This is because the electric field between the two conductors is stronger, allowing for more charge to be stored. On the other hand, if the distance between the conductors is increased, the capacitance will decrease.

4. Can capacitance be changed?

Yes, capacitance can be changed by altering the physical properties of the system. For example, the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be increased by increasing the area of the plates or by decreasing the distance between them.

5. What are some real-life applications of capacitance?

Capacitance has many practical applications, including in electronic devices such as radios, TVs, and computers. It is also used in power factor correction, energy storage systems, and touchscreens. Capacitors are also commonly used in filtering and smoothing circuits to remove unwanted noise in electronic signals.