Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Capacitance of parallel plate capacitor separated by

1. Apr 14, 2017 #1
    How to find capacitance of parallel plate capacitor separated by conducting material with two different dielectric between

Two parallel plate of Cu(5*6*0.1)mm and distance between them is (d=2mm)
    a thin Cu-plate of thickness 0.1 mm separates Mica layer & Quartz layer.

how to find capacitance?

Attached Files:

• Cap.PNG
      Cap.PNG
      File size:
      18.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2017 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some sort of key for the diagram would help us to understand what you are asking. (Describing what the colours represent would help)
    IF the purple slice is representing the copper then you can treat it as having zero thickness because charge displacement requires zero potential difference across it.

4. Apr 14, 2017 #3
    here I have attached one pic. I hope it would be more clear now.

Thank you

Attached Files:

5. Apr 14, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. That's much better. So what I said applies here. You have two series capacitors with two different dielectrics. The thickness of the copper is pretty much irrelevant. Details of any gaps due to irregularities might be relevant if they are significant compared with the thicknesses of the dielectrics. Again, that's not likely to be an issue - if this is basically a theoretical problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted