Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual question about angular speed and radius for rotational motion

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    let's say a wheel rotates with a constant angular acceleration. Would its angular speed be affected if the radius was changed? It seems that angular speed would be independent of the radius since the angle is just a proportional quantity.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2

dst

It depends on your assumptions. For a constant angular momentum, the angular frequency decreases with a larger radius - the moment of... something I can't remember at 5:00AM... gets larger since it's proportional to distance from axis - just like a lever.

On the other hand, for a constant angular acceleration, angular acceleration remains... constant.

Edit: Torque. It has the same units as a moment of whatever I can't remember.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  4. Apr 9, 2008 #3
    so angular speed is dependent on radius since the force that moves the wheel would cause a greater acceleration if the wheel had a smaller radius (meaning it would be a smaller wheel)? also assuming the force that moves the wheel stays constant.

5. Apr 9, 2008 #4

dst

Exactly so. Try it yourself, spin around first like a ballerina with your arms extended then like a spinning... cylinder and observe. You will look like a muppet on both accounts but it's all in the name of physics.

6. Apr 10, 2008 #5
    Thanks.

Btw, i will only look like a muppet if someone is looking.

7. Apr 10, 2008 #6

rbj

Torque, measured in units of force times length has the same dimension as work or energy. and that is legitimate; turning a shaft exactly one radian of twist (and the radian is the mathematically natural unit of twist) the number of newton-meters of torque becomes exactly the number of Joules of work done. so with a twist of one radian, torque is the same as energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?