1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual question about wavefunctions/momentum

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

If I have the wave function of a system, then the expectation of position is easily visualized as the centroid of the distribution.

Does anyone know how to visualize the expectation of velocity given just the postion-space wavefunction (real and imaginary parts)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Er... couldn't you just use the expectation value of the momentum, i.e. <p>? I'm assuming that you know what p operator is in the real-space representation.

Zz.

4. Mar 18, 2008 #3

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

I do know what it is!
    [tex]
    p = -i \frac{d}{dx}
    [/tex]

...always. since p generates translations in space.

5. Mar 18, 2008 #4
    What i'm going to tell you is in a contradiction with your question, cause you say, you only have realspace wavefunction. However, i find it very instrumental to imagine it in this way:

Take the realspace wavefunction. Do its fourier transform. You obtain a k-space wavefunction. In this representation, the momentum (~velocity) operator has exactly the same form as position operator in realspace representation. So the centre of this function is the mean momentum value.

6. Mar 19, 2008 #5
    yes,I agree this.
    Use foiurier transformation to get the wavefunction in the momentum representation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?