Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual question about wavefunctions/momentum

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

If I have the wave function of a system, then the expectation of position is easily visualized as the centroid of the distribution.

Does anyone know how to visualize the expectation of velocity given just the postion-space wavefunction (real and imaginary parts)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... couldn't you just use the expectation value of the momentum, i.e. <p>? I'm assuming that you know what p operator is in the real-space representation.

Zz.

4. Mar 18, 2008 #3

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

I do know what it is!
    [tex]
    p = -i \frac{d}{dx}
    [/tex]

...always. since p generates translations in space.

5. Mar 18, 2008 #4
    What i'm going to tell you is in a contradiction with your question, cause you say, you only have realspace wavefunction. However, i find it very instrumental to imagine it in this way:

Take the realspace wavefunction. Do its fourier transform. You obtain a k-space wavefunction. In this representation, the momentum (~velocity) operator has exactly the same form as position operator in realspace representation. So the centre of this function is the mean momentum value.

6. Mar 19, 2008 #5
    yes,I agree this.
    Use foiurier transformation to get the wavefunction in the momentum representation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?