Conceptual Question on Impuldse of inelastic collision

In summary, when calculating the force acted upon each object during a collision, the change in momentum of each individual object can be found by subtracting its pre-collision momentum from its final momentum, using its mass and velocity. This applies even when the objects are acting as one particle.
Tribean

Homework Statement

If two objects are moving towards each other with two different velocities and two different mass then crash and stick together, find the force acted upon each object during the collision if the collision occurred over some time "t"

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2 = (m1+m2)v[itex]_{f}[/itex]

impulse = dp/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I just have a basic question on the use of the mass and velocities within the impulse equation.

Would we use the final velocity and mass and subtract the initial velocities and mass of the objects. as so:

((m1+m2)(v_f) - (m1)(v1))/t
to get the impulse of the collision on object one? and do the same for object two.

OR

do we use their distinct momentum to subtract from one another:

((m1)(v1) - (m2)(v2))/t

I'm just having a hard time understanding the use of the equation conceptually. Can anyone help dumb it down a bit for me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tribean. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

After the collision they share a common velocity. Before the collision each body had its own mass and velocity so you know its pre-collision momentum. Therefore, for each body you can calculate its individual change in momentum, Δp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Nascent

Thank you for replying. So even though the objects are acting as one particle, I would use the added masses and the common velocity as the final momentum minus the pre - collision momentum of one of the objects:

((m1+m2)(v_f) - (m1)(v1))/t

or would I use its initial mass and new velocity?

What's the change in momentum before & after the collision of m1? Of m2?

Hi rudeman, sorry there are no actual variables for m1 or m2 or the momentum as I'm just asking for a conceptual view. I was just confused if we are to take both the masses combined together when taking the change in momentum

as I described in my last earlier response with the equation.

Tribean said:
the objects are acting as one particle, I would use the added masses and the common velocity as the final momentum
Correct.

The pre-collision momentum of each is its mass x its velocity.

Tribean said:
Hi rudeman, sorry there are no actual variables for m1 or m2 or the momentum as I'm just asking for a conceptual view. I was just confused if we are to take both the masses combined together when taking the change in momentum

as I described in my last earlier response with the equation.

I meant using m1, m2, v1 and v2 symbolically. It was a hint, not an inquiry.

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision is not the same.

What is impulse in the context of inelastic collisions?

In the context of inelastic collisions, impulse is the change in momentum of an object during a collision. It is calculated by multiplying the force acting on the object by the time interval during which the force is applied.

How is the impulse of an inelastic collision calculated?

The impulse of an inelastic collision can be calculated by using the formula J = m(v2-v1), where J is the impulse, m is the mass of the object, and v2 and v1 are the final and initial velocities, respectively.

What factors affect the impulse of an inelastic collision?

The impulse of an inelastic collision can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the duration of the collision, and the type of materials the objects are made of.

How is the impulse of an inelastic collision different from that of an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, it is not. Additionally, the objects in an elastic collision bounce off each other, while in an inelastic collision, they stick together after the collision.