Conceptual Question on Net Torque

In summary, according to the kinematics of angular properties, if angular position and angular speed are not constant, then the angular acceleration will also not be constant. Additionally, the moment of inertia, which depends on mass and distance from the axis, will also not be constant. Therefore, the only constants in this scenario are the location of center of mass and kinetic energy (rotational), as they depend on non-constant quantities.
klopez
A constant nonzero net torque is exerted on an object. Which of the following can not be constant? Choose all that apply.

-angular position
-angular velocity
-angular acceleration
-location of center of mass
-moment of inertia
-kinetic energy

My guess is that angular position and angular velocity can not be constant, but I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone help me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that the angular velocity and angular position cannot be constant but if those are changing, will some of the other quantities also change?

HINT:

If the angular velocity changes, what other option(s) will change?

Last edited:
I see, so according to the kinematics of angular properties, if angular position and angular speed is not constant, than that means that the angular acceleration is not constant either. The moment of inertia depends on Mass and distance from the axis, so since those are constants, the moment of inertia are constant right? And since kinetic energy (rotational) depends on moment of inertia (constant) and angular speed(non-constant), then kinetic energy is also not constant.

So this is my answer for the problem:

Angular Position
Angular Speed
Angular Acceleration
Kinetic Energy

Are all non-constants

***CAN ANYONE CHECK IF I'M CORRECT PLEASE?

THANKS

Why is angular acceleration not constant?
Do you know an equation relating angular acceleration, net torque and the moment of inertial.

Okay, so I think I should use this equation torque = I*alpha
Where alpha(angular acceleration) has to be constant because I is constant and the net torque is constant.

So therefore, my answer should be:

Angular Position
Angular Speed
Kinetic Energy

Are all non-constant.

Is this correct? Can anyone check this for me please?

Thanks

Can anyone confirm my answer above?

klopez said:
Can anyone confirm my answer above?

I agree with your latest answer.

1. What is net torque?

Net torque is the sum of all the individual torques acting on an object. It is a measure of the rotational force acting on an object.

2. How is net torque calculated?

Net torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point, also known as the lever arm. This can be represented by the equation T = F x d, where T is net torque, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise torque?

Clockwise torque is a rotational force that causes an object to rotate in the same direction as a clock's hands, while counterclockwise torque causes an object to rotate in the opposite direction.

4. How does the direction of the force affect net torque?

The direction of the force applied to an object affects the direction of the net torque. If the force is applied perpendicular to the lever arm, the net torque will be at its maximum. If the force is applied parallel to the lever arm, there will be no net torque.

5. What is the importance of net torque in rotational motion?

Net torque is important in rotational motion because it determines the rate of rotation and the direction of the rotation. It also plays a role in maintaining the rotational equilibrium of an object.