Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concerning Stellar Evolution

1. May 28, 2007 #1
    Hello I am a student in high school and my physics teacher is a complete idiot. He just gave us a project to draw the life cycle of stars without even teaching the class. I am completely lost. Can someone help me draw the life cycle of stars that includes
    small: G-yellow
    K-orange
    M-Red
    Medium: A-white
    F-yellow
    Large: O-blue
    B- Blue white

By the way, can you please reply in words a high school student can understand. I am so lost I don't even know the color to draw the stars.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2007 #2
    What do you mean "draw the life cycle of stars"? like on a H-R diagram?

all these stars lie on the main sequence on the H-R diagram.
    since the H-R diagram is a graph of Luminosity versus temperature or spectral type (OBAFGKM), the O stars are on the upper left hand corner and the M type stars are on the lower right hand corner.
    you might want to look here:
    http://www.le.ac.uk/ph/faulkes/web/images/hrcolour.jpg
    O-blue- hottest, most massive. live the shortest amount of time. "bright but brief"
    B- Blue white
    A-white
    F-yellow
    G-yellow- average life and mass realtively speaking. Our sun is an example.
    K-orange
    M-Red-coolest, least massive. live the longest amount of time.

hope that helps.

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  4. May 29, 2007 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I think he only intends for you to draw up a rough description. The initial color of a star is heavily dependent upon mass. Massive stars start hot [bluish] and die fast - usually ending up as premature white dwarfs. Tiny stars [dim red] can live much longer than the universe without changing noticeably. An average star, like our sun, will sit right in the center of the HR diagram for about 10 billion years, blow up like a balloon for about 500 million years [red giant], then retire as a white dwarf for a very long time [~50 billion years] before fading into oblivion. The biggest problem with that scenario is the universe is too young to contain ancient white dwarfs. Hence, it is not entirely clear how they behave in their twilight years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?