Condition of tangency of a line on a general form parabola

In summary: This is in quadratic form in x i.e it give two value of x i.e we get two intersection point of line on the parabola.But I have a doubt, at this point we also get quadratic in c i.e two y-intercept of the line, why?So to get one intersection point of the line on the parabolawe take (2mc - 2mk -4a
rajeshmarndi
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template. Effort in post #3.>

What is the condition of tangency of a line y=mx+c on parabola with vertex(h,k) ,say for parabola (y-k)2=4a(x-h)?

I could only find the condition of tangency on standard form of parabola, in the internet?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rajeshmarndi said:
I could only find the condition of tangency on standard form of parabola, in the internet?
Why would it matter? It has to have a common point and the derivative a this point has to be the same. This is true for every tangent line. In terms of conditions on m,c,k,a,h: You can derive them based on the definition of tangency.

Is this homework?

mfb said:
Why would it matter? It has to have a common point and the derivative a this point has to be the same. This is true for every tangent line. In terms of conditions on m,c,k,a,h: You can derive them based on the definition of tangency.

Is this homework?
This is how I tried.
A line y = mx+c and a parabola with vertex(h,k) say (y-k)2= 4a (x-h)

I put y = mx+c in (y-k)2 = 4a (x-h)

[ (mx + c) - k ] 2 = 4a (x-h)
(mx + c) 2 + k2 - 2k(mx+c) = 4ax - 4ah
(mx)2 + c2 + 2mxc + k2 - 2kmx -2kc = 4ax - 4ah
(m2) x2 + (2mc - 2km - 4a) x + (c2 -2kc +k2 + 4ah) = 0

This is in quadratic form in x i.e it give two value of x i.e we get two intersection point of line on the parabola. But I have a doubt , at this point we also get quadratic in c i.e two y-intercept of the line, why ?

So to get one intersection point of the line on the parabola
we take (2mc - 2mk -4a) 2 - 4(m2) (c2 -2kc +k2 + 4ah) = 0

4m2 c2 + 4m2 k2 + 16 a2 - 8 m2 ck - 16 mac + 16 mak - 4 m2 c2 + 8 m2 kc - 4m2 k2 - 16 m2 ah = 0

16 a2 - 16 mac + 16 mak - 16 m2 ah = 0
a2 - mca + mka - m2 ah = 0
ah m2 + acm - akm - a2 = 0
(ah) m2 + (ac - ak) m - a2 = 0
h m2 + (c - k) m - a = 0

So again we get two slope(m) of the line y=mx+c , why?

But if I wanted to make one slope, then
(c - k) 2 + 4ha = 0
c2 + k2 - 2ck + 4ha = 0
c2 - 2kc + (k2 + 4ah) = 0

Again I got quadratic in c. So,
4k2 - 4(k2 + 4ah) = 0
4k2 - 4k2 - 16 ah = 0

At last , the condition of tangency of the line y=mx+c is,

ah =0.

I'm sure I am terribly wrong. I also do not know the correct answer.
Please rectify and help me to get the condition of tangency of the line.

This looks a bit messy to me. Sort out what you have:
  • a point ##(p,q)## where you want to know the tangent
  • a parabola, you choose ##(y-k)^2= 4a(x-h)##
This is a bit unusual, as it looks as if you decided to have a function ##x(y)## which depends on ##y## as free variable. So it's not a function anymore. To make it a function, there are three possibilities
  1. Consider ##y## as variable, in which case the straight should be ##x=my+b##, resp. ##y=c##.
  2. Chose a branch: positive or negative roots of ##(y-k)^2##, but not both.
  3. Change the formula for the parabola and take ##y=ax^2+bx+c##
For the sake of simplicity, I assume you've chosen the third option. So again, what do we have?
  • a point ##Q\, : \,(p,q)## where we want to know the tangent
  • a parabola ##P\, : \,y=ux^2+vx+w##
  • the point is on the parabola, ##Q \in P## or ##q=up^2+vp+w##
  • a tangent ##T\, : \,y=mx+b## at ##Q \in T##, i.e. ##q=mp+b## or ##p=c##.
Since we want to know ##T##, and we already have one equation, we simply need another one about ##T.##

Do you know what ##\left. \dfrac{d}{dx}\right|_{x=p} P= \left. \dfrac{d}{dx}\right|_{x=p}(ux^2+vx+w)## geometrically means, resp. can you calculate it?

rajeshmarndi said:
This is in quadratic form in x i.e it give two value of x i.e we get two intersection point of line on the parabola.
You didn't set any constraints so far, in general a line can intersect a parabola twice. You want it to have only one point in common. You can use this condition (the quadratic equation should have exactly one solution) to get a constraint on the parameters.

I have rewritten my original post and has been shorten.

A line y = mx+c
and a parabola with vertex(h,k) say (y-k)2= 4a (x-h)

I put y = mx+c in
(y-k)2 = 4a (x-h)

it becomes,

[ (mx + c) - k ] 2 = 4a (x-h)
(mx + c) 2 + k2 - 2k(mx+c) = 4ax - 4ah
(mx)2 + c2 + 2mxc + k2 - 2kmx -2kc = 4ax - 4ah
(m2) x2 + (2mc - 2km - 4a) x + (c2 -2kc +k2 + 4ah) = 0
So to get one intersection point of the line on the parabola
we take
(2mc - 2mk -4a) 2 - 4 . (m2) . (c2 -2kc +k2 + 4ah) = 0

4m2 c2 + 4m2 k2 + 16 a2 - 8 m2 ck - 16 mac + 16 mak - 4 m2 c2 + 8 m2 kc - 4m2 k2 - 16 m2 ah = 0

after cancelling +ve and -ve equal term, it reduces to,

16 a2 - 16 mac + 16 mak - 16 m2 ah = 0
a2 - mca + mka - m2 ah = 0
ah m2 + ( c - k ) am - a2 = 0
h m2 + (c - k) m - a = 0
(c - k)m = a - h m2
c - k = a/m - hm
c = a/m - hm + k

Hence c = a/m - hm + k, here c = y-intercept of the line
is the required condition of the line y = mx + c to be a tangent to the above parabola.

This sould be correct, now.

I didn't check every step but the result looks good.
You can test some examples to confirm it as well.

Likes rajeshmarndi
mfb said:
I didn't check every step but the result looks good.
You can test some examples to confirm it as well.
Thanks..

1. What does the condition of tangency mean for a line on a general form parabola?

The condition of tangency for a line on a general form parabola means that the line is touching the parabola at exactly one point, creating a single point of intersection. This point of tangency is known as the point of contact between the line and the parabola.

2. How is the condition of tangency determined for a line on a general form parabola?

The condition of tangency for a line on a general form parabola is determined by setting the slope of the line equal to the slope of the parabola at the point of tangency. This can be done by finding the derivative of the parabola equation and setting it equal to the slope of the line.

3. Can a line be tangent to a general form parabola at more than one point?

No, a line cannot be tangent to a general form parabola at more than one point. This is because the condition of tangency requires the line to intersect the parabola at exactly one point, creating a single point of contact.

4. How does the condition of tangency affect the slope of a line on a general form parabola?

The condition of tangency affects the slope of a line on a general form parabola by requiring the slope of the line to be equal to the slope of the parabola at the point of tangency. This results in a single point of intersection and a unique slope for the line.

5. What is the significance of the condition of tangency for a line on a general form parabola?

The condition of tangency is significant because it allows us to determine the point of contact between a line and a general form parabola. This can be useful in solving problems involving the intersection of lines and parabolas, as well as in understanding the behavior of parabolas and their slopes.