How Do You Calculate Conditional Probabilities with Joint PDFs?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability P(Y < 1 / X < 1) given a joint probability density function and using the formula P(a < Y < b / X = x). The speaker also mentions that the answer can be found in a book and asks for guidance on how to begin solving the problem. The expert suggests using conditional probability and integrating the given function to find the desired probability.
franz32
I just need a guide to this problem... found in one of the books in the library...
Given the joint pdf f(x,y) = 2e^[-(x+y)] where 0 < x < y, y > 0

find P(Y < 1 / x < 1). Note that "/" means given that.

I got the formula when P(a < Y < b / X = x) is given, i.e., in terms of the integral from a to b of f(y/x)dy. But how about this? Is there a formula to transform this? =) The answer is in the book... so I want to know how to begin with...

Physics news on Phys.org
franz32 said:
I just need a guide to this problem... found in one of the books in the library...
Given the joint pdf f(x,y) = 2e^[-(x+y)] where 0 < x < y, y > 0

find P(Y < 1 / x < 1). Note that "/" means given that.

I got the formula when P(a < Y < b / X = x) is given, i.e., in terms of the integral from a to b of f(y/x)dy. But how about this? Is there a formula to transform this? =) The answer is in the book... so I want to know how to begin with...

I think the probability density function was given as

f(x,y) = 2e^[-(x+y)] where 0 < x < y, y > 0
and f(x,y)=0 if x>y.

Let be the event A: y<1 and the event B: x<1.
By the definition of conditional probability P(A/B) = P(AB)/P(B). (AB means A AND B). You have to integrate f(x,y) to get the probabilities. Find the integration domains in the picture: for P(AB), it is 0<x<y, 0<y<1. For P(B), it is x<y<infinity, 0<x<1.

ehild

Last edited:

To solve this problem, we can use the definition of conditional probability, which states that P(A/B) = P(A and B)/P(B). In this case, we are trying to find P(Y < 1 / X < 1), so we can rewrite this as P(Y < 1 and X < 1) / P(X < 1).

To find the joint probability P(Y < 1 and X < 1), we can integrate the joint pdf f(x,y) over the region where both x and y are less than 1. This region can be represented as a triangle with vertices at (0,0), (1,0), and (1,1). So the integral becomes:

∫∫ f(x,y) dx dy = ∫∫ 2e^[-(x+y)] dx dy = 2∫∫ e^[-(x+y)] dx dy

Since the integral is over a triangle, we can change the limits of integration to make the calculations easier. Let u = x+y and v = y, then the triangle becomes a rectangle with vertices at (0,0), (1,0), (1,1). The limits of integration become 0 to 1 for both u and v. The Jacobian of this transformation is 1, so the integral becomes:

2∫∫ e^[-u] du dv = 2∫ e^[-u] dv = 2e^-u ∫ dv = 2e^-u (v) = 2e^-u (1-0) = 2e^-u

Now, to find P(X < 1), we can integrate the joint pdf f(x,y) over the region where x is less than 1. This region can be represented as a triangle with vertices at (0,0), (1,0), and (1,∞). So the integral becomes:

∫∫ f(x,y) dx dy = ∫∫ 2e^[-(x+y)] dx dy = 2∫∫ e^[-(x+y)] dx dy

Again, we can change the limits of integration to make the calculations easier. Let u = x+y and v = y, then the triangle becomes a trapezoid with vertices at (0,0), (1,0), (1,∞), and (0,

What is a conditional density?

A conditional density is a probability density function that describes the probability of a certain event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is used to calculate the likelihood of an outcome, taking into account any relevant information or conditions.

How is a conditional density different from a regular probability density function (PDF)?

A regular PDF describes the probability of an event without taking into account any other information. A conditional density, on the other hand, takes into account other conditions or events that may affect the probability of the outcome.

What are some common applications of conditional densities?

Conditional densities are commonly used in statistics and data analysis, particularly in fields such as finance, economics, and engineering. They are also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms to make predictions based on previous data and conditions.

How do you calculate a conditional density?

To calculate a conditional density, you would need to use Bayes' theorem, which states that the probability of event A given event B is equal to the probability of event B given event A multiplied by the probability of event A, divided by the probability of event B. This can also be written as P(A|B) = P(B|A) * P(A) / P(B).

What is the relationship between conditional densities and conditional probabilities?

Conditional densities and conditional probabilities are closely related. A conditional density is essentially a continuous version of a conditional probability, where the probability is calculated over a range of values instead of discrete events. Both are used to determine the likelihood of an outcome given certain conditions or events.