Conductive Glass

• Thread starter mrjeffy321
  • Start date
ITO glass is commonly (or commercially called) LOW E glass. i know Pilkington sells a LOW E glass, (filters IR light), spectrically selective but clear glass, but is condustive due to the indium-tin oxide coating, (on one side only, from memory).

and can be purchased in window size, and different thickness.

the other option is to manufacture your own ITO mixture, (with silicone), menicsus dip it, (extraction speed determines coating thickness, both sides). then refire the glass to fire the ITO coating.

DSSCs

Hey Jeff,

I've been working on this project for almost three years now at Washington State University. There are many suppliers of ITO conductive glass. We've made lots of progress on these Dye Sensitized Solar Cells (DSSCs) and follow all the scientific publications on it. It turns out almost every part of the DSSC has the potential for changing the amount of power dramatically.

The biggest example to date is the way you prepare the TiO2 paste. We make paste using a method that involves stirring the TiO2 powder in different solvents (water, alcohol, etc) and each solvent morphs the surface of the TiO2 differently s.t. the dyes will interact with the TiO2 differently (attach stronger, inject electrons more easily, be less sensitive to contaminants, etc). Most methods require a surfactant of some kind (soap usually) that is burned off in a baking step, however we've found that if you for-go the soap and stir long enough (we stir in ethanol for two weeks using a stir plate and magnetic bar) you can deposit a film with the same consistancy that doesn't require baking, with the one major draw-back that you lose about 10-30% of the power.

We are interested in natural dyes, i.e. dyes you can get from plants. We've found there is a major step in separating the dyes you want from the rest of the materials in plants, and most dyes are easily degraded. There are ways of getting around the degradation (nature's little secrets), but they can be very tricky. TiO2 is very well known as a degredation catalyst for organic molecules, which is why you have to "protect" the dye from the TiO2 (hint hint-sorry, can't give out all the secrets).

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have by sending me an email to this username @wsu.edu

I would like to know if there is another type of conductive glass... excepting the one coated with ITO..., I hope I am not out of topic. Thank you

Conductive Layers

There are several variations on Tin Oxides (SnO2): Fluorine-doped SnO2 (FTO), Indium-doped SnO2 (ITO), and just SnO2. Each of these changes the Fermi-Level and conductivity of the conductive layer. Beyond these, I can't recall ever seeing any others.

Thank you so much, for answering my question. Have you ever used transparent conductive glass before? :smile:

Yeah, I use FTO just about everyday, and occasionally use ITO. The advantage to ITO is that it can be deposited on Temp-sensitive things, like plastic, or rather I believe this is so b/c I've never seen FTO on plastic. SnO2 is transparent in all it's mildly doped forms as deposited on glasses and plastics that I've used. I say "transparent", but in actuallity there is an internal reflection and index of refraction scattering that leads to ~4% loss of light, depending on the wavelength.

Hi,
That's good to know.... I would like to buy FTO coated glass... but it is kind of hard to find vendors... although I found out that I can buy it from Pilkington and AFG can you tell me your source?
Thank you very much

Hello everyone,

dyesol sales conductive glass they have 10ohm square meter and 8ohm square meter.
I think this are good conductive glasses with attractive price.

have a look at https://secure.dyesol.com/index.php?template=TestCell [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: