Cone Edges in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the edge of a cone in cylindrical coordinates. The equation of a line passing through the coordinates of the slant side is used to determine the edge, which is found to be z=2r. The conversation also talks about calculating the volume of the cone using integration and provides two different approaches to solving the integral.
brad sue
Hi ,
I don't know how to get the edge of the cone in cylindrical coordinates.

For example, we have a cone starting at the origin, of heigth 2 and the top is a circle of radius 1 (center at the origin).

the edge of the cone is z=2r. but I don't know how they find it.
Please can someone help me?

Thank you

B

Physics news on Phys.org
The phrasing "edge of the cone" is a little confusing! I would have interpreted it to mean the circle where the slant side meets the base but it seems clear that you are talking about the slant (curved) side itself.

Look at the cone "from the side". That is, imagine that you are looking along the y-axis so that positive z is up and positive x is to the right.
The line forming the slant side of the cone, from that perspective, passes through (0,0,0) and (1, 0, 2). Ignoring the y-coordinate, that is (0,0) to (1, 2). What is the equation of a line passing through those coordinates? (Remember to use z instead of y.)
Now, remember that the cone is formed by that line rotating around the z-axis. "x" is really the straight line distance from the z-axis to the point: that's r.

HallsofIvy said:
The phrasing "edge of the cone" is a little confusing! I would have interpreted it to mean the circle where the slant side meets the base but it seems clear that you are talking about the slant (curved) side itself.
Look at the cone "from the side". That is, imagine that you are looking along the y-axis so that positive z is up and positive x is to the right.
The line forming the slant side of the cone, from that perspective, passes through (0,0,0) and (1, 0, 2). Ignoring the y-coordinate, that is (0,0) to (1, 2). What is the equation of a line passing through those coordinates? (Remember to use z instead of y.)
Now, remember that the cone is formed by that line rotating around the z-axis. "x" is really the straight line distance from the z-axis to the point: that's r.
Thank you
In fact, I took this explample for a book.
for the same cone, we want to calculate the volume.
I set the integral
(|(a,b) means integral from a to b)
for theta : |(0,2*pi)
for r: |(0,1)
for z: |(X,2) I don't know how to find the lower bound X

brad sue said:
Thank you
In fact, I took this explample for a book.
for the same cone, we want to calculate the volume.
I set the integral
(|(a,b) means integral from a to b)
for theta : |(0,2*pi)
for r: |(0,1)
for z: |(X,2) I don't know how to find the lower bound X

IF you are doing it in that order: the [itex]\theta[/itex] integration is the outer integration from [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex] and then next from r= 0 to r=1, then inner most integral is from the line z= 2r up to 2:
[tex]\int_{\theta = 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r= 0}^1\int_{z=2r}^2 rdzdrd\theta[/tex]

I, personally would be inclined to change the order:
[tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{z= 0}^2\int_{r= 0}^{\frac{r}{2}} rdrdzd\theta[/tex].

They should give exactly the same answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Cone Edges in Cylindrical Coordinates

1. What are cone edges in cylindrical coordinates?

Cone edges in cylindrical coordinates refer to the lines that mark the intersection between a cone and a plane in a three-dimensional space. In cylindrical coordinates, these edges appear as a curved line that connects the base of the cone to the tip.

2. How are cone edges defined in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, cone edges are defined by two parameters: the radius and the height. The radius determines the distance from the center of the base of the cone to the edge, while the height determines the distance from the base to the tip of the cone. Together, these parameters create a curved line that represents the cone edge in cylindrical coordinates.

3. What is the equation for finding cone edges in cylindrical coordinates?

The equation for finding cone edges in cylindrical coordinates is r = h/tan(theta), where r is the radius, h is the height, and theta is the angle of the cone. This equation can be derived from the Pythagorean theorem and is commonly used in mathematics and engineering to calculate cone edges.

4. Why are cone edges important in cylindrical coordinates?

Cone edges in cylindrical coordinates are important because they allow for the visualization and measurement of cones in three-dimensional space. They are also used in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics, to understand and analyze the properties of cones and their intersections with other shapes.

5. Are there any real-world applications of cone edges in cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of cone edges in cylindrical coordinates. For example, they are used in architecture to design domes and roofs, in engineering to create cone-shaped structures such as chimneys and cooling towers, and in physics to study the behavior of fluids flowing through conical pipes. They are also important in computer graphics and virtual reality for creating realistic 3D models.