1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confidence Interval

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Janet sells cookware at home parties, she wants to estimate the average amount a client spends at each party. A random sample of 35 receipts gave a mean of X bar = $34.70 with standard deviation s = %4.85.

a) find a 90% confidence interval for the average amount spent by all clients.

b) for a party with 35 clients, use part (a) to estimate a range of dollar values for Janet's total sales at that party.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the 90% confidence interval with no problem and got 33.32 < X bar < 36.09 but I don't understand what part (b) is asking, it seems to me that it is asking the same exact thing that (a) was

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(a) is asking about the average value, while (b) is asking for a total amount from 35 clients.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook