Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confidence Intervals

1. Jan 28, 2006 #1
    Hello. I am teaching myself statistics and my question is about confidence intervals. I understand that I can accept or reject a null hypothesis based on comparing my p values to the significance value (say .05)
    But how do i accept or reject a null hypothesis based SOLELY on
    a given confidence intervals say -12 to 1.4?
    thanks

blumfeld0

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2006 #2
    Say you have a confidence interval of 99% confidence, and the range is (-12, 1.4). If you have a number that lies outside of that range (let's say 1.9), then you can reject [itex]H_0[/itex] (and accept [itex]H_a[/itex]) at [itex]\alpha = .01[/itex]. If the number does lie inside that range (let's say -3), then you accept [itex]H_0[/itex] (and reject [itex]H_a[/itex]).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  4. Jan 28, 2006 #3
    Hi. Thanks for your reply. That is the problem. A colleaugue of mine told me that you can accept or reject the null hypothesis solely given the confidence interval without being given the actual data or significance level (99%, 95%)
    Is he right?
    if so how?
    thanks

blumfeld0

5. Jan 30, 2006 #4
    a confidence level always has a significance level associated with it, so no.

6. Feb 4, 2006 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Confidence level = 1 - significance level

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?