Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conflicting Transverse Doppler Shift Equations?

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first one is for wavelength, the second one is for frequency. Since wavelength is the inverse of frequency, you can change the first one as follows:

v' = γv

1/f' = γ/f

f = γf'

γf' = f

f' = f/γ

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. Feb 28, 2013 #3
    :bugeye:

But in the Wiki derivation they use E = hv. Isn't that the same as E = hf?

Which means that v = f as well, not wavelength?

5. Feb 28, 2013 #4

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're probably right.

I was going by the previous equation in the Wiki article which said:
    For an emitter moving towards an observer, the shift in the Doppler frequency is greater than one and yet they imply it is less than one. Since they also include "(or directly away)" without further explanation, I guess they expect the reader to know what they are talking about. Consider the source.

BTW: I'm still waiting for a response from you on your Triplet thread.

6. Feb 28, 2013 #5
    Both equations are correct, but they refer to two different "transverse" conditions. One equation defines the transverse condition in terms of the rest frame of the emitter, and the other defines the transverse condition in terms of the rest frame of the receiver. These two conditions are different, because of relativistic aberration. Here's a web page that explains this in detail (toward the bottom of the page):

http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath587/kmath587.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook