Conformal mapping of images

In summary, the conversation discusses conformal mapping and the difficulties faced while trying to reproduce images using the transformation z \rightarrow z^2 in Mathematica. One possible solution is to increase the resolution of the original image or use a different transformation that does not result in a significant increase in the number of points. Other resources and forums are also recommended for further tips and tricks on generating images using conformal mapping in Mathematica.
Avijeet
Hi everybody,

I was looking at the following link:
http://www.dimensions-math.org/Dim_CH5_E.htm

The section 6 deals with conformal mapping of the image for different kinds of transformations. I tried to reproduce them in mathematica for the transformation [itex]z \rightarrow z^2[/itex].
I followed the following algorithm:
1. Take an image and obtain the values for all pixels, say (x,y)=0.2.
2. Then I transformed the coordinates according to the transformation [itex](x,y)\rightarrow (x^2-y^2, 2xy)[/itex].
3. The previously stored pixel values are now assigned to these new coordinates.
4. Get the new image.

The problem I am facing is that the dimension of the image changes from [itex]m \times n \rightarrow m^2 \times n^2 [/itex] after the transformation. But I know the pixel values for only m n points. Thus I don't have enough points to generate the final image.

Can you suggest a way out of this difficulty or any other algorithm to generate the images.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your findings and the link to the dimensions-math.org website. Conformal mapping is a fascinating topic and it's great to see you experimenting with it in Mathematica.

Based on your description, it seems like the issue you are facing is related to the resolution and number of points in the original image not being enough to accurately represent the transformed image. One possible solution could be to increase the resolution of the original image by interpolating the pixel values. This way, you will have more points to work with and hopefully be able to generate the final image accurately.

Another approach could be to use a different transformation that does not result in such a significant increase in the number of points. For example, instead of using z \rightarrow z^2, you could try z \rightarrow z^3 or z \rightarrow \sqrt{z}. This may still result in a change in the dimensions of the image, but perhaps not as drastic as z \rightarrow z^2.

I would also recommend checking out other resources and forums online for tips and tricks on generating images using conformal mapping in Mathematica. There may be specific techniques or functions that can help you achieve your desired results.

Best of luck with your project! Happy experimenting!

What is conformal mapping of images?

Conformal mapping of images is a mathematical technique used to transform a two-dimensional image onto a different surface or plane while preserving angles and shapes. This allows for the distortion of an image to be controlled and adjusted.

Why is conformal mapping important in image processing?

Conformal mapping is important in image processing because it allows for the manipulation of images without losing important details or features. It also helps in creating seamless transitions between images and generating more accurate representations of objects and surfaces.

What are the applications of conformal mapping in image processing?

Conformal mapping has a wide range of applications in image processing, such as creating panoramic images, correcting lens distortions, and generating texture maps for 3D models. It is also used in medical imaging, remote sensing, and computer vision.

What are the limitations of conformal mapping in image processing?

Conformal mapping is limited by the fact that it only preserves angles and shapes, but not necessarily distances or areas. This means that it may not accurately represent the true size or scale of objects in an image. It also requires advanced mathematical calculations, which can be time-consuming and computationally expensive.

Are there any alternative techniques to conformal mapping in image processing?

Yes, there are alternative techniques to conformal mapping, such as affine mapping and projective mapping. These techniques also involve transforming images onto different surfaces, but they use different mathematical principles and may have different limitations and applications.