Confused about equating energies

In summary, the voltage and frequency in an RF induced chemical vapor deposition process are related to the energy transfer and bond breaking processes, respectively. The specific details of this relationship will vary depending on the materials and conditions involved.
Bhumble
I'm trying to understand an RF induced chemical vapor deposition process. Without getting into anything complicated I get of got hung up on how to equate energies.

So I'm imagining a parallel plate capacitor that has charged particles oscillating between the two plates (or thinking of a single particle to keep things simple).

For a particle to move a specific distance W = -F dx so then there must have been E = F dx available.

So what I really want to know is how voltage and frequency play a part.
I feel like I'm missing something by just assuming E = hf = F dx = qV
It makes sense to me that the voltage and force would be proportional but I feel like I'm missing something in the relationship with frequency (unless it's buried in Planck's constant and I'm not seeing it). The part that is confusing me is that it seems like the voltage of the system is irrelevant to total energy and I don't understand how that could be.

Also would it be reasonable to subtract activation energies for breaking bonds from the energy of the system and assume the remaining energy is expended via F dx?

I know I'm completely neglecting all the thermal and quantum characteristics of the system. I'm just not on that level at this point and trying to understand from where I can grasp first. I appreciate any comments or insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relationship between voltage, frequency and energy in this system depends on the specific application and the materials involved. Generally speaking, energy is stored in the electric field of the capacitor, and is related to the voltage applied across it. The frequency of the RF field will determine how fast the energy is transferred from the capacitor to the material being deposited, and the rate of energy transfer will depend on the material properties, such as its dielectric constant. The energy transferred to the material is then used to break bonds, resulting in the deposition of material. The activation energies associated with bond breaking will also play a role in determining the rate of deposition.

1. What is meant by equating energies?

Equating energies refers to the process of comparing and relating different forms of energy, such as kinetic, potential, and thermal energy, to each other in a mathematical equation.

2. Why is it important to equate energies?

Equating energies allows us to understand the relationships between different forms of energy and how they are converted and conserved in various systems. It helps us make predictions and solve problems related to energy transformations.

3. How do you equate energies in a system?

To equate energies in a system, you need to identify all the different forms of energy involved and use the appropriate equations and conversions to relate them. This typically involves using the principles of conservation of energy.

4. What are some common mistakes when equating energies?

Common mistakes when equating energies include not considering all the forms of energy present, neglecting to account for energy losses due to friction or other factors, and not using the correct equations or conversions.

5. Can equating energies be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, equating energies can be applied to real-world situations, such as calculating the energy efficiency of a machine or predicting the motion of a projectile. It is a fundamental concept in many fields of science and engineering.