Spring constant, vertical ball launch speed.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of potential energy and maximum height reached by a ball launched by a compressed spring. The potential energy of the spring is 256 J and the maximum height reached by the ball is 6.53m. The third question is answered using the conservation of mechanical energy, which results in a final velocity of 9.42 m/s for the ball.
SteelDirigibl
Ok I have most of this solved but can't get the third part right.

Homework Statement

A spring of spring constant 128N/m is compressed a distance of 2.0m from its equilibrium position, and used to project a ball of mass 4.0 kg directly upwards. Neglect air resistance.

1. What is the potential energy of the spring in its compressed position? 256 J
2. To what maximum height above its initial (compressed) position does the ball reach? 6.53m

3. Earlier, just when the spring is returned to its equilibrium position, as the ball was moving upwards, how fast was the ball moving? undetermined?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2*mv2
PE=mgh
Us=1/2kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I tried was simply using the previously calculated energy, 256J, and solving for velocity in the KE equation. This gets 11.3 m/s using mass of the ball, but I'm sure I'm supposed to account for some other motion of the spring, because it doesn't transfer all of that energy to the ball. The correct answer is 9.4 m/s. Where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't assume that all of the spring PE goes into KE--the ball also rises. Use conservation of total mechanical energy.

Ah I get it.

The ball rises 2.0m at that point. PE of the ball is 2*4*9.8=78.4

256-78.4=177.6

1/2*m*v^2=177.6

177.6*2/4=88.8
88.8^.5=9.42 m/s

Thanks a lot! it looks like I just need to think a little more about what I'm doing. Got my final tomorrow morning.

1. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is defined as the force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. It is typically measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m).

2. How is the spring constant related to the vertical ball launch speed?

The spring constant is directly related to the vertical ball launch speed. The greater the spring constant, the greater the force exerted on the ball and the higher the ball will launch. This relationship is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed.

3. How can the spring constant be measured?

The spring constant can be measured by using a known force to stretch or compress a spring and then measuring the resulting displacement. By plotting the force versus displacement data, the slope of the line can be calculated, which is equal to the spring constant.

4. Does the spring constant change with temperature?

Yes, the spring constant can change with temperature. As the temperature increases, the atoms in the spring vibrate more, causing it to expand and become less stiff, resulting in a lower spring constant. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the spring becomes more stiff and the spring constant increases.

5. How does the mass of the ball affect the spring constant and launch speed?

The mass of the ball does not affect the spring constant, as it is a property of the spring itself. However, a heavier ball will require a greater force to be launched to the same height as a lighter ball. This is due to the relationship between force and mass described by Newton's Second Law of Motion.