Confused kinematics equations & ball motion in the air

In summary, when the ball is thrown upwards with initial speed of 7.25 m/s and initial height of 4m, it will have height h=-4.9t^2+7.25t+4 at time t. When the ball "hits the ground", h=0, so you solve for -4.9t^2+7.25t+4=0. This is a quadratic equation and will have two solutions but one will be negative. The negative solution will be the time the ball would have been on the ground if it were thrown upward from the ground to be at height 4m with speed 7.25 at time t=0.
Butterfly30
you throw a ball straight up in the air with a speed of 7.25m/s. The moment the ball leaves your hand you start running away at a speed of 2.59m/s. How far are you from the ball the moment it hits the ground.

So I've gotten better at these kinematics equations but this one has too many factors..I don't even know where to begin. I was thinking that I could use y=y0+ v0t +1/2at2 but what would I solve for?? Then would I put it into the same equation but for x?

Physics news on Phys.org

Butterfly30 said:
... thinking that I could use y=y0+ v0t +1/2at2 but what would I solve for?? Then would I put it into the same equation but for x?

Solve for t. Since you are not accelerating when you are running, you could-- it reduces to d=r*t.

I'm still confused...if I try to solve for t what is my change in y? It says 4ft from the ground...but what about what it travels when it's is thrown up? Also wouldn't I have to make a= 9.81?

4ft is new information. I assume that would be your y(0). You are solving for T when y(T)= 0. Yes, a is 9.81m/s^2 but in what direction?

Oops yes it is thrown from a height of 4ft. So Would I still make my y and y0 = 0 and them handle the 4 ft afterwards?

A ball going upward with initial speed 7.25 m/s and initial height 4m will have height h= -4.9t^2+ 7.25t+ 4 at time t. When the ball "hits the ground", h= 0, of course so you want to solve -4.9t^2+ 7.25t+ 4= 0. That's a quadratic equation and will have two solutions but one will be negative. (It will be the time the ball would have been on the ground if it were thrown upward from the ground to be at height 4m with speed 7.25 at time t= 0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Butterfly30 said:
Oops yes it is thrown from a height of 4ft. So Would I still make my y and y0 = 0 and them handle the 4 ft afterwards?

No-- y = 0 (your y of interest when the ball hits the ground) and y0 = 4 (initial height).

So the quadratic eqtn would give me the time it would take ... So I would then have to plug this into the eqtn x=x0+v0t+1/2at^2 but it would become x=x0+v0t since a for x equals zero... Right?

Right. Watch your sign on the ay term, show us your full equations.

Hmmm... I'm still getting it wrong. When I put into the quadratic it's 1.21m + 7.25 t + -4.9t2. Btw it's 1.21m from the 4ft given... I get a time that is a decimal so when I put it into the x eqtn it's very low... I'm stuck

Show us your equations that you are about to evaluate. You are possibly very close.[edit-- what did you get for T?, for x?]

Last edited:
Ok, the #'s change each time but same question so, given y0=4ft(1.21m) v0y=5.16m/s v0x=2.41.

Quad eqtn 1.21+5.16t+(-4.91)t^2

End up with -5.16+-sqrt50.3/2(-4.9) T=1.25. So when I plug this into the x eqtn x=v0t. X=2.41•1.25.
X= 3.01m

I don't know I this is right, once I enter it the #'s will switch again... Does it look right?

It is getting late. Would expect to see formula for the y activity to be this:

0 = 1.21 +7.25*t -0.5*9.81*t2

where did you get 5.15m/s2?

not sure I follow--"the numbers change all the time"

Yes this is what I had, but I mentioned the #'s changed when i entered my answer so 7.25 became 5.16. It is late, thank you for your help... I wouldn't have gotten this far so thank u and good night :)

Continue the thread when you can. Many awesome folks are here who can help move it along.

Yay, actually I got it! Thanks sobmuch!

What are kinematics equations and how are they used in studying ball motion in the air?

Kinematics equations are mathematical formulas that describe the motion of objects in terms of their position, velocity, and acceleration over time. They are used in studying ball motion in the air to calculate the trajectory, velocity, and acceleration of a ball as it moves through the air. These equations are essential in understanding the physics behind the movement of objects and can be used to predict the motion of a ball in various scenarios.

What is the difference between linear and projectile motion?

Linear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line with a constant velocity, while projectile motion refers to the curved path of an object under the influence of gravity. In ball motion, the initial throw or kick is considered linear motion, but as the ball travels through the air, it follows a projectile motion due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the trajectory of a ball in the air?

The trajectory of a ball in the air is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle at which it is thrown or kicked, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can be manipulated to change the trajectory of the ball and can be calculated using kinematics equations.

How does air resistance impact the motion of a ball in the air?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It can significantly impact the motion of a ball in the air by slowing it down and altering its trajectory. The amount of air resistance depends on the size, shape, and speed of the ball, as well as the density of the air. Kinematics equations can be used to calculate the effect of air resistance on the motion of a ball.

What are some real-life applications of studying ball motion in the air?

The study of ball motion in the air has many real-life applications, such as in sports like baseball, soccer, and basketball, where understanding the trajectory of a ball is crucial for players to make accurate shots or catches. It is also essential in engineering and design, such as in the development of projectiles or aerodynamics of airplanes. Additionally, understanding the physics behind ball motion can help in predicting and preventing accidents, such as in car crashes or falling objects.