Confusing about Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution in non-classical region

In summary: Therefore, the correct expression for the quantum case with wavenumber distribution is:f(k) = \hbar\sqrt{\frac{m}{2\pi k_B T}} \exp[-\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m k_B T}]In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution to a non-interacting system in statistical mechanics. It also explores the transition from classical to quantum mechanics and the correct expression for the wavenumber distribution in the quantum case. The correct expression is f(k) = \hbar\sqrt{\frac{m}{2\pi k_B T}} \exp[-\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m
KFC
Hi there,
I am reading some materials on statistical mechanics and for the section on momentum distribution, there mention for some non-interacting system, the momenta distribution are satisfying the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which is summarized in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell–Boltzmann_distribution

If we consider the problem as 1 dimensional, the momentum distribution becomes

[tex]f(p) = [m/(2\pi k_B T)]^{-1/2}\exp[-p^2/(2mk_BT)][/tex]

This look good to me. But in some books or materials, for getting into quantum region, the author simply considers the non-interacting system by introducing the relation with Planck const. as

[tex]p = \hbar k[/tex]

such that

[tex]f(k) = \hbar[m/(2\pi k_B T)]^{-1/2}\exp[-(\hbar k)^2/(2mk_BT)][/tex]

My question is, is that really the correct way to go from classical into quantum mechanics by just introducing the [tex]\hbar[/tex] in the momentum relation to the wavenumber for the non-interacting system? As I have noticed in other book for statistical mechanics, the Maxwell distribution can only be applied for the system with the hypothesis that the particles are non-interacting, identical but distinguishable. But for quantum case, I don't know how this condition is hold. Since the author trying to apply the above distribution to a bosonic gas at really low temperature (call BEC?), should this condition hold for this case? But even that's true, why don't we use the boson statistics instead?

For my second question, if f(k) is the correct distribution, how come this quantity [tex]\hbar[m/(2\pi k_B T)]^{-1/2}[/tex] has the unit of wave number? I try to do the math but I get meter square instead.

Physics news on Phys.org
Something is wrong with the first equation. Just doing dimensional analysis, we have to have f(p)dp be dimensionless so f(p) has to have units of 1/(mv). It has units of the square root of kT/m. kT is an energy so the units are v^2, not 1/(mv). The correct statement is the square root of [itex]1/(2\pi m k T)[/itex]

Rap said:
Something is wrong with the first equation. Just doing dimensional analysis, we have to have f(p)dp be dimensionless so f(p) has to have units of 1/(mv). It has units of the square root of kT/m. kT is an energy so the units are v^2, not 1/(mv). The correct statement is the square root of [itex]1/(2\pi m k T)[/itex]

Ok. Thanks. So what's the right expression for the quantum case when the wavenumber distribution being consindered? I try

[tex]f(k) = \hbar\sqrt{\frac{1}{2\pi m k_B T}} \exp[-(\hbar k)^2/(2mk_B T)][/tex]

but the dimension is not correct.

KFC said:
Ok. Thanks. So what's the right expression for the quantum case when the wavenumber distribution being consindered? I try

[tex]f(k) = \hbar\sqrt{\frac{1}{2\pi m k_B T}} \exp[-(\hbar k)^2/(2mk_B T)][/tex]

but the dimension is not correct.

For a distribution of any variable x, you have to have f(x)dx be dimensionless. So you have to use f(p)dp=f(k)dk, which means f(k)=f(p) dp/dk, that should give you the right answer.

Rap said:
For a distribution of any variable x, you have to have f(x)dx be dimensionless. So you have to use f(p)dp=f(k)dk, which means f(k)=f(p) dp/dk, that should give you the right answer.

Thanks. But that's what I did, not working. since [tex]p=\hbar k[/tex] and [tex]dpdk = \hbar[/tex], plug that back to the f(p) with p written in k, I got the one I wrote before but the dimension is not correct. The right dimension should be in [tex]meter^{-1}[/tex]

KFC said:
Thanks. But that's what I did, not working. since [tex]p=\hbar k[/tex] and [tex]dpdk = \hbar[/tex], plug that back to the f(p) with p written in k, I got the one I wrote before but the dimension is not correct. The right dimension should be in [tex]meter^{-1}[/tex]

Since k has dimensions 1/meter, and f(k)dk is dimensionless, f(k) must have dimensions of meters.

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics and is based on the principles of kinetic theory.

2. What is the difference between the classical and non-classical regions in the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The classical region refers to the part of the distribution where the speeds of particles follow classical mechanics, meaning they have a continuous range of speeds. The non-classical region, on the other hand, refers to the part of the distribution where the speeds of particles are limited by the uncertainty principle and can only exist at discrete energy levels.

3. Why is there a non-classical region in the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The non-classical region exists because at very low temperatures, the energy levels of particles become discrete due to the quantum nature of matter. This means that particles can only exist at specific energy levels and cannot have a continuous range of speeds, as predicted by classical mechanics.

4. How does the non-classical region affect the behavior of particles in a gas?

In the non-classical region, particles have a lower probability of having high speeds, resulting in a more narrow and peaked distribution compared to the classical region. This means that at low temperatures, particles tend to have lower speeds and are more likely to occupy the lower energy levels.

5. What is the significance of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution in science?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles in gases. It has important applications in various fields of science, such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and astrophysics, and has greatly contributed to our understanding of the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.