Confusion about how to work out the uncertainty in my final calculated value

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Pronitron
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


So basically I have plotted two variables I measured on a graph, which gives a simple linear relationship, and have found the gradient and standard error of the gradient (1.21251 and 0.03275 respectively). Now my problem is that this gradient is equal to a constant divided by the value I'm trying to calculate i.e G=constant/v so when I express the variable v with its uncertainty how do I calculate this uncertainty in v from knowing the error in G?



Homework Equations


(2*pi*f)/c = G


The Attempt at a Solution


I attempted to find the ratio between the standard error of the gradient and the gradient and then multiply by my value for c, i.e 0.02042/0.03275*c, is this the correct method?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm reading your questions right.


[Δv/v]2 = [ΔG/G]2

[δG/δv]2/G(v)2 = [ΔG/G]2

bascially you want to take the partial derivative of your function G= constant/v and square it then divide the entire thing by G2

then solve for ΔG which should be ΔG = [GΔv]/v

I can't name the function, if this is for a lab, I'm hoping your school puts the error functions in the manual.