1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion about how to work out the uncertainty in my final calculated value!

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So basically I have plotted two variables I measured on a graph, which gives a simple linear relationship, and have found the gradient and standard error of the gradient (1.21251 and 0.03275 respectively). Now my problem is that this gradient is equal to a constant divided by the value I'm trying to calculate i.e G=constant/v so when I express the variable v with its uncertainty how do I calculate this uncertainty in v from knowing the error in G?

2. Relevant equations
    (2*pi*f)/c = G

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to find the ratio between the standard error of the gradient and the gradient and then multiply by my value for c, i.e 0.02042/0.03275*c, is this the correct method?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    If i'm reading your questions right.

[Δv/v]2 = [ΔG/G]2

[δG/δv]2/G(v)2 = [ΔG/G]2

bascially you want to take the partial derivative of your function G= constant/v and square it then divide the entire thing by G2

then solve for ΔG which should be ΔG = [GΔv]/v

I can't name the function, if this is for a lab, i'm hoping your school puts the error functions in the manual.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook