Confusion on: High Pass Filter at Op Amp Input

In summary, the conversation is about simulating the input impedance of a high-pass filter using an op amp and the observed dip in impedance below the expected value. The possibility of the op amp's input capacitance causing the issue is discussed, as well as the potential for the ground-referenced input signal causing problems with the op amp's single power supply. The conversation also touches on the use of a phototransistor in the circuit and the desire to minimize parallel loading effects. The input capacitance of the op amp is mentioned and the conversation concludes with a request for any additional insights or methods for determining the input capacitance in simulation.
decaf14
TL;DR Summary
I'm simulating an op amps impedance in SPICE. I'm confused on why the impedance dips below the impedance of the ground resistor.
Hello,

I am simulating the input impedance of a high-pass filter with the output voltage of the filter input to the non-inverting pin of an op amp. I'm confused as to why the input impedance can possibly dip below the resistance of the high-pass filter resistor. Please see the following circuit diagram and simulation results.
1571592718497.png
1571592738918.png

Here, we see that the impedance impedance drops to about 5k ohms despite the resistor being 56k. I theorized that the op amp impedance might be extremely low, so I checked that as well. The impedance of the op amp was roughly 2 G-ohm as shown below.
1571592834459.png
1571592840858.png

To make sure I'm not crazy, I simulated the impedance of a normal passive high pass filter and saw that the impedance dropped to exactly 56k as expected.
1571592887977.png
1571592893956.png

The way I see it, I can model the op amp as an equivalent resistance of 2.4G-ohm up until about 1 kHz, yielding the system below. I see exactly what I expect: impedance dipping to exactly 56k.
1571593014263.png
1571593028702.png

The reason I care so much about this is that I'm modelling the performance of a light detector. The circuit uses a phototransistor to detect light, and an emitter resistor controls the voltage output of the photo transistor. Previously, I was using a two-stage system using two op amps for a single phototransistor. One op amp buffered the signal and the other was an active bandpass filter. This ensured that no parallel loading effect occurred at the emitter of the phototransistor since the buffer input was so large. However, I want to make another version of this design that takes up less space so that I could potentially cram this into a wristwatch design and use it as an educational tutorial. I model my phototransistor simply as an npn device as shown below. Essentially, I want to avoid placing a significantly low resistance in parallel with the 33k resistor so that I mantain exactly 33k of resistance, the "optimal" resistance for the amount of light I detect.
1571593271268.png

Any input to this issue is appreciated. A couple of my thoughts are that I'm simply simulating it wrong or that the op amp capacitance is significant, but I think neither of those are true based on the curves I've shown above that verify my expectations.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the problem is (I need to look at your simulations more), but in general you should not try to run that opamp with a single power supply and put a ground-referenced 1Vac signal into its input.

berkeman said:
What's the input capacitance of the opamp?

I'm having trouble finding it as the pspice model simply shows this for the lm358.
1571593753780.png

I'm fairly certain it should be negligible compared to the 10u capacitor in series, though. If I simply test the opamp with a series resistance, I should be able to intuit the capacitance to ground based on the low-pass cutoff frequency of the system. Using a voltage source now, I see a -3db at roughly 5 MHz, which should correspond to a capacitance of 32 pF.
1571594085149.png
1571594099509.png

If I analyze the same system, now with a 2.4 gig-ohm resistor in parralel with a 32 pF capacitor, I still see the same lower-than-expected impedance in my frequency range of interest. Although now there are two poles which is what I expect as well because there are two reactive components. You don't see this in the plots I posted first because I did not go out to that frequency - I'm not interested in it.
1571594217297.png
1571594232721.png

Thanks for the response and let me know what you think of this. Also, if you have a better way to determine the input capacitance of an op amp in OrCAD pspice, I'm all ears.

decaf14 said:
Thanks for the response and let me know what you think of this. Also, if you have a better way to determine the input capacitance of an op amp in OrCAD pspice, I'm all ears.
It should be in the SPICE model netlist. I'm at home now without access to my work MicroCAP SPICE software, but you should be able to look at the netlist for that opamp model to see what they are specifying the input capacitance as. It's probably only a few pF, though, so that may not account for the low input impedance you are seeing.

Did you see my post about the power supplies for the opamp? You might be clipping the input signal against the ground rail to the opamp...

Likes decaf14
berkeman said:
It should be in the SPICE model netlist. I'm at home now without access to my work MicroCAP SPICE software, but you should be able to look at the netlist for that opamp model to see what they are specifying the input capacitance as. It's probably only a few pF, though, so that may not account for the low input impedance you are seeing.

Did you see my post about the power supplies for the opamp? You might be clipping the input signal against the ground rail to the opamp...

Dang it. That's exactly it. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thank you! Sometimes it helps to get an extra set of eyes.

Here's the simulation output that verifies this (I set vsupp to 5 gig-volts and v- is -5 gig-volt). Impedance drops to 56k like expected.
1571595715845.png
1571595737882.png

Likes dlgoff and berkeman
I use +/-5GV in my circuits all the time... :smile:

Likes Baluncore and decaf14
decaf14 said:
That's exactly it.
BTW, I didn't notice until just now, but somewhere along the way your 1Vac input source turned into a 1Aac source. Not sure why that happened. Just an FYI in case it was unintentional.

1571698501378.png

1. What is a high pass filter at op amp input?

A high pass filter at op amp input is a type of electronic filter that allows high frequency signals to pass through while blocking low frequency signals. It is commonly used to remove unwanted noise from a signal or to isolate high frequency components of a signal.

2. How does a high pass filter at op amp input work?

A high pass filter at op amp input works by using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and op amps to create a frequency-dependent voltage divider. This divider allows high frequency signals to pass through while attenuating low frequency signals. The exact behavior of the filter can be adjusted by changing the values of the components used.

3. What is the purpose of using a high pass filter at op amp input?

The purpose of using a high pass filter at op amp input is to remove unwanted low frequency signals from a signal or to isolate high frequency components of a signal. This can improve the overall quality and clarity of the signal being processed by the op amp.

4. How do I choose the right high pass filter for my application?

Choosing the right high pass filter for your application depends on several factors, including the desired cutoff frequency, the input and output impedance of the circuit, and the frequency response of the filter. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with a knowledgeable engineer to select the best filter for your specific needs.

5. Can a high pass filter at op amp input be used in conjunction with other filters?

Yes, a high pass filter at op amp input can be used in conjunction with other filters to create a more complex frequency response. For example, it is common to use a low pass filter in addition to a high pass filter to create a bandpass filter that allows only a specific range of frequencies to pass through. It is important to carefully design and analyze the behavior of multiple filters when using them together.