Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High pass filter response at high frequencies

1. Sep 13, 2015 #1
    Good day all,

I have a question:

I built a passive high pass filter in an experiment using a hand wound inductor (toriod) and a resistor. The filter worked great as a high pass at frequencys ranging from 100 Hz - 1,000,000 Hz (rolling off around 10,000 Hz). After creating a bode plot, I noticed that at very high frequencies (relative) around 5-10 MHz, the filter began to roll off slightly. What causes this unwanted behavior?

* feel free to be "mathy"

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Probably parasitic capacitance came into play. Why did you use an LR HPF instead of an RC or LC HPF? Can you post a drawing of your circuit, including any component values you've measured? Do you have access to a SPICE program? We can help you with characterizing the components and modeling them with SPICE... :smile:

4. Sep 13, 2015 #3
    hmm okay, thanks Berkeman! I used a LR HPF becuase part of the experiemnt was to create an inductor of a specific impedance that when combined with the resistor rolled off values at a specific frequency. I do have a spice program but I didnt run the circuit on it (I didnt feel it necessary - I just calculated by hand what the component values needed to be). I was just curious why this happened.Thanks!

5. Sep 14, 2015 #4

meBigGuy

Gold Member

All real inductors have parallel capacitance which will roll off the high frequencies when fed by a series R.

Measure the inductor self resonance. Actually, I expect you saw the high pass peak before it started to rolloff.

6. Sep 14, 2015 #5
    In other words, no inductor is perfect. You actually get a sort of tuned circuit with the inductor/parasitic capacitance combination. If you sweep the inductor by itself, you should see it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook