Confusion over intensive properties (Thermo)

In summary: PMIn summary, pressure is not intensive or extensive, but it can be described as being between the two.
My4rk89
Disclosure: I am studying biochemistry so my thermodynamics education is lacking and I'm likely misinterpreting some of these concepts (that's why I'm here for help).

I have always had trouble defining some properties as either intensive or extensive. I understand that extensive are supposed to depend on the amount of the substance present, but intensive properties do not. For example I can easily understand why boiling point is intensive and mass is extensive.

However I get confused when I try to place some properties into either category. One that always gets me is pressure. I have heard the argument that if I have sealed a box with a pressure of 1atm inside and I split the box in two I have reduced the number gas molecules as well as the volume by half and the pressure doesn't change. So pressure is not dependent on amount... Ok, that makes sense to me, but what if I doubled the amount of gas in the box (increases the amount of substance) Hasn't the pressure gone up?

Im sure there is some fundamental flaw in my reasoning and I'm hoping that when this is cleared up I will have a much more sound understanding of intensive and extensive properties (or pressure for that matter).

Thanks in advanced!

Science news on Phys.org
Why does a property have to be either intensive or extensive?

AM

-AM

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Are you saying that some properties can be extensive or intensive under different contexts? That doesn't seem to fit with my understanding, or are you saying that pressure specifically is neither intensive or extensive?

I have read and heard in a recent lecture that pressure is intensive. I just don't see this as being the case specifically when looking at a gas.

My4rk89 said:
However I get confused when I try to place some properties into either category. One that always gets me is pressure. I have heard the argument that if I have sealed a box with a pressure of 1atm inside and I split the box in two I have reduced the number gas molecules as well as the volume by half and the pressure doesn't change. So pressure is not dependent on amount... Ok, that makes sense to me, but what if I doubled the amount of gas in the box (increases the amount of substance) Hasn't the pressure gone up?

If you take two systems that are duplicates of each other, same thermodynamic parameters, and connect them, intensive properties will not change, extensive properties will double.

Doubling the amount of gas in a box is not doing this. When you double the amount of gas in a box, you are basically connecting two like systems (pressure remains the same) then compressing to half the combined volume.

Likes davidbenari and HUMERA.S
Rap-

Many thanks, your explanation of combining two like systems definitely clarifies what is meant by intensive and extensive properties. I think I can work through the other classifications that had me confused now!

My4rk89 said:
-AM

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Are you saying that some properties can be extensive or intensive under different contexts? That doesn't seem to fit with my understanding, or are you saying that pressure specifically is neither intensive or extensive?

I have read and heard in a recent lecture that pressure is intensive. I just don't see this as being the case specifically when looking at a gas.
My point is that there is no particular reason why a property has to fit perfectly into one of these categories. I would say that pressure does not fit either category.

AM

What are intensive properties in thermodynamics?

Intensive properties in thermodynamics are physical properties that do not depend on the size or amount of a substance. These properties include temperature, pressure, and density.

How do intensive properties differ from extensive properties?

Intensive properties do not depend on the size or amount of a substance, while extensive properties do. For example, the mass of a substance is an extensive property, while its density is an intensive property.

Are intensive properties constant for a given substance?

Yes, intensive properties are constant for a given substance at a specific temperature and pressure. They do not change with the amount or size of the substance, only with changes in temperature and pressure.

Why is confusion over intensive properties common in thermodynamics?

Confusion over intensive properties is common in thermodynamics because they are often used in calculations and equations, making it important to understand the difference between intensive and extensive properties. Additionally, some properties, such as specific heat, can be either intensive or extensive depending on the context, leading to further confusion.

How can one remember the difference between intensive and extensive properties?

A helpful mnemonic to remember the difference is "I" for intensive and "E" for extensive. Intensive properties are independent (do not depend on) the amount (size) of a substance, while extensive properties are dependent on the amount (size).