Congruent Triangles: Exploring the Possibilities

• Thread starter mathstudent88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangles
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of congruences between a given isosceles triangle ABC and itself. It is determined that there is only one congruence, which is between triangle ABC and ACB. However, the professor mentions that there is another congruence, which is later revealed to be the trivial one where ABC is congruent to itself.
mathstudent88
Given a triangle ABC which is isosceles but not equilateral. That is, AB = AC, but AB does not equal BC. How many congruences are there, between triangle ABC and itself?

Here's my answer:

By the hypothesis, we can infer that triangle ABC is congruent to triangle ACB. So there is just one congruence.

My professor said that there is another congruence but I just can't figure out what it is. Can someone please help me?

Would it be that triangle ABC is congruent to triangle ACB which is congruent to triangle BAC?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what your professor is talking about. ABC is congruent to ACB. That's about it. BAC is not congruent to ABC since AC is not equal to BC.

I do not know what my professor is talking about either. She gave me back my homework and told me to re-do this one and she wrote on my paper that there is another congruence but I am just not seeing it. She put on my paper, "Actually, there is one other."

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Could she mean ABC is congruent to ABC? It's kind of obvious, but it is true (for ANY triangle).

I sent her an e-mail asking her about it and this is what she said to me:

"Here's a hint: It is the trivial one, i.e. the one that maps each vertex to itself."

Do you have any idea what she means by that? ABC congruent to ABC?

Sure. It's just the obvious statement that any triangle is congruent to itself. AB=AB, BC=BC, CA=CA.

Haha ok. Thanks soo much for the help! :)

What is the definition of congruence of triangles?

Congruence of triangles is a mathematical concept that refers to two triangles having the exact same shape and size, meaning that all corresponding sides and angles are equal.

How can you prove that two triangles are congruent?

There are several methods to prove congruence of triangles, including Side-Side-Side (SSS), Side-Angle-Side (SAS), Angle-Side-Angle (ASA), Angle-Angle-Side (AAS), and Hypotenuse-Leg (HL) for right triangles. These methods involve comparing corresponding sides and angles and showing that they are equal.

What is the importance of congruence of triangles?

Congruence of triangles is important in geometry and other areas of mathematics because it allows us to establish equal relationships between different figures and to make accurate calculations and measurements.

What are some real-world applications of congruence of triangles?

Congruence of triangles is used in fields such as architecture, engineering, and construction to ensure that structures are built with accurate and equal measurements. It is also used in map-making and navigation to accurately represent and measure distances and angles.

What is the difference between congruence and similarity of triangles?

Congruence of triangles means that two triangles are exactly the same in shape and size, while similarity means that two triangles have the same shape but may be different in size. Similar triangles have proportional sides and angles, but not necessarily equal ones.