Congruence problem finding smallest modulus.

• Thread starter sg001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modulus
In summary, the conversation is about solving the congruence 20x ≡ 16 (mod 92) and finding the smallest possible modulus. The individual is initially lazy in explaining their solution, but then goes on to detail the steps taken to find the greatest common divisor (gcd) of 92 and 20. However, there is confusion about the resulting answer and the individual realizes they have been using an incorrect approach.
sg001

Homework Statement

Solve the congruence 20x [itex]\equiv[/itex]16 (mod 92)
Give your answer to the smallest possible modulus.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so 20x -92y=16

Hence,

92=20(4) +12...

gcd = 4

working back,

I have -16(-9)= z (mod 92)

so z = 52

and if I divide through by my gcd =4

36[itex]\equiv[/itex] 13 (mod 23)

but the answer says -36[itex]\equiv[/itex] 10 (mod 23)

??

Im lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try explaining what you're doing, and do it without so much shorthand.

Hurkyl said:
Try explaining what you're doing, and do it without so much shorthand.

Ok, I was being lazy

Here it is step by step.

20x[itex]\equiv[/itex]16(mod92)

so..

20x - 92y =16

20 goes into 92, 4 times with 12 remainder

Hence,

92 = 20(4) + 12

12 = 92 - 20(4)

20= 12(1) + 8

8= 20 - 12(1)

12= 8(1) + 4

4= 12 - 8(1)

8= 4(2) + 0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] gcd = 4

working backwards

4= 12 - (20-12)

= (92-20(4)) - (20-12)

= (92-20(4)) - (20-(92-20(4)))

= 92(2) -9(20)

so..

-16(-9) = (?) (mod92)

144 = 52 (mod92)

Now dividing through by gcd...

36[itex]\equiv[/itex] 13 (mod 23)

But the answer says

-36[itex]\equiv[/itex]10(mod23)

I don't understand?

sg001 said:
20x - 92y =16
4 = 92(2) -9(20)
I was more interested in having you explain what you're doing and why you're doing it, than detailing the individual steps in actually doing it.

This far, I can determine you intended to find gcd(92,20), along with coefficients u,v satisfying
gcd(92,20) = 92u + 20v​
I won't ask why you went off into this calculation, since it's frequently useful enough that it's probably fine to do habitually and without comment.However, I can't tell what you were intending to do with the rest of your work:

so..

-16(-9) = (?) (mod92)

144 = 52 (mod92)Now dividing through by gcd...

36[itex]\equiv[/itex] 13 (mod 23)But the answer says

-36[itex]\equiv[/itex]10(mod23)

I don't understand?

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
I was more interested in having you explain what you're doing and why you're doing it, than detailing the individual steps in actually doing it.

This far, I can determine you intended to find gcd(92,20), along with coefficients u,v satisfying
gcd(92,20) = 92u + 20v​
I won't ask why you went off into this calculation, since it's frequently useful enough that it's probably fine to do habitually and without comment.

However, I can't tell what you were intending to do with the rest of your work:

I figured it out I just was shown a bad way with a simpler problem and have been using that approach since.(I was only using one coefficient instead of the two).

Thanks for the help thoe.

1. What is a congruence problem?

A congruence problem involves finding the smallest modulus (or number) that satisfies a given set of congruence equations. In other words, it is the process of finding the smallest number that can divide a given set of numbers without leaving any remainder.

2. Why is finding the smallest modulus important?

Finding the smallest modulus is important because it allows us to simplify complex congruence equations and make them more manageable. It is also useful in various fields of mathematics, such as cryptography and number theory.

3. How do you solve a congruence problem?

To solve a congruence problem, you need to first identify the set of congruence equations. Then, you can use various methods such as the Chinese Remainder Theorem, Extended Euclidean Algorithm, or Fermat's Little Theorem to find the smallest modulus that satisfies all the equations.

4. What are some real-world applications of congruence problems?

Congruence problems have several real-world applications, such as in cryptography to ensure secure communication, in coding theory to detect and correct errors in data transmission, and in number theory to study patterns and properties of numbers.

5. Are there any challenges in solving congruence problems?

Yes, there can be challenges in solving congruence problems, especially for complex equations with large numbers. One major challenge is the time and computational resources required to find the smallest modulus. Additionally, there may be multiple solutions or no solutions at all for certain congruence problems.