Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conjecture for prime pairs of difference two

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    Can it be proven that the number of prime pairs with a difference of two (that is, primes separated by only one even number) approaches infinity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is the of-yet-unproved Twin Prime Conjecture.

4. Jun 3, 2009 #3
    Do you mean that infinitely many primes separated by the same even number? Or do you mean infinitely many primes separated by a multiple of the same even number? The latter is true.

5. Jun 3, 2009 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know Elliott-Halberstam implies that (via Goldston-Pintz-Yıldırım), but is it known unconditionally? As far as I know, [itex]g_n>\sqrt{\log p_n}[/itex] for all n sufficiently large has not been disproven.

Oh wait, I just reread what you wrote. The latter is trivially true, since all prime gaps but the first are divisible by 2.

6. Jun 4, 2009 #5
    The number of pairs of primes with a difference of two.

7. Jun 4, 2009 #6
    That would be the said "Twin Primes Conjecture".

8. Jun 4, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But you wouldn't say "approaches" infinity in either case. Either the number of twin primes is infinite or it is a specific integer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook