Proving Conjugate Subgroups K=H with Prime Number of Elements

• Thread starter *FaerieLight*
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjugate
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove that if K = gHg-1 for some g in G, where K and H are subgroups of G with a prime number of elements, then K = H. The individual has tried a proof but realizes it is not valid and that H does not necessarily equal gHg-1 unless g is in the normaliser of H. They also mention a specific example using the symmetric group on three elements to demonstrate that the statement does not always hold.
*FaerieLight*

Homework Statement

How would I go about proving that if K = gHg-1, for some g [itex]\in[/itex]G, where K and H are both subgroups of G with a prime number of elements, then K = H?

Homework Equations

I've tried to prove it by saying that if K = gHg-1 then Kg = gH, and since H = gHg-1, then Hg = gH also, so Hg = Kg, and hence H = K. I don't think that this proof is valid, unfortunately. And I've just realized that H does not necessarily equal gHg-1 unless g is in the normaliser of H. :(

The Attempt at a Solution

This is actually something which I am attempting to prove in order to prove something else, so I'm not even sure if what I'm trying to prove holds at all. I just need K = H for my proof to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take G=S3, the symmetric group on three elements. Take K={e,(12)} and H={e,(13)}. The subgroups both have order 2 (a prime) and they are conjugate via g=(23), but they aren't equal.

1. What is the definition of a conjugate subgroup?

A conjugate subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is obtained by applying a group element to another subgroup. In other words, if H is a subgroup of a group G, and g is an element of G, then the conjugate subgroup of H by g, denoted by gHg^-1, is the set {ghg^-1 | h ∈ H}.

2. How can we prove that two subgroups are conjugate?

To prove that two subgroups H and K of a group G are conjugate, we need to show that there exists an element g in G such that gHg^-1 = K. This can be done by finding an element in K and showing that it can be obtained by conjugating an element in H by some element in G.

3. What is the significance of having a prime number of elements in conjugate subgroups?

Having a prime number of elements in conjugate subgroups indicates that the subgroups are not only conjugate, but also isomorphic. This is because prime order subgroups are the only ones that can be mapped onto each other by an isomorphism.

4. Can we prove conjugacy of subgroups without using prime numbers?

Yes, it is possible to prove conjugacy of subgroups without using prime numbers. However, using prime numbers often simplifies the proof and makes it easier to understand.

5. How does proving conjugacy of subgroups with a prime number of elements relate to group theory?

Proving conjugacy of subgroups with a prime number of elements is an important concept in group theory. It helps us to understand the structure of a group and its subgroups, and also allows us to study the symmetry and transformations of mathematical objects. Furthermore, the study of conjugacy and its relationships to prime numbers is useful in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory and abstract algebra.