1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conjugate Subgroups

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How would I go about proving that if K = gHg-1, for some g [itex]\in[/itex]G, where K and H are both subgroups of G with a prime number of elements, then K = H?

2. Relevant equations
    I've tried to prove it by saying that if K = gHg-1 then Kg = gH, and since H = gHg-1, then Hg = gH also, so Hg = Kg, and hence H = K. I don't think that this proof is valid, unfortunately. And I've just realised that H does not necessarily equal gHg-1 unless g is in the normaliser of H. :(

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is actually something which I am attempting to prove in order to prove something else, so I'm not even sure if what I'm trying to prove holds at all. I just need K = H for my proof to work.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take G=S3, the symmetric group on three elements. Take K={e,(12)} and H={e,(13)}. The subgroups both have order 2 (a prime) and they are conjugate via g=(23), but they aren't equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook