Cons. of energy with rotational motion

It might help if you stated the problem more clearly. Just say what the problem is and what you are expected to find.
musicfairy
In Figure 11-32, a solid brass ball of mass m and radius r will roll without slipping along the loop-the-loop track when released from rest along the straight section. For the following answers use g for the acceleration due to gravity, and m, r, and R, as appropriate, where all quantities are in SI units.

hrw7_11-32.gif

(a) From what minimum height h above the bottom of the track must the marble be released to ensure that it does not leave the track at the top of the loop? (The radius of the loop-the-loop is R. Assume R > r.)

(b) If the marble is released from height 6R above the bottom of the track, what is the magnitude of the horizontal component of the force acting on it at point Q?

For part a I came up with the equation

mgh = (1/2)mv2 + (1/2)mv2 + 2mgR
gh = (7/10)v2 + 2gR

I think that's right, but I can't figure out how to solve for v. I'm guessing that It has something to do with centripetal force.

Part b probably needs an answer from part a. The horizontal component of the force is the normal force (= centripetal force?).

Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
your logic is good (except I don't get your second 1/2mv2).

You are right about centripital force. At the top the ball needs enough velocity so that its centripital inertia= its weight. The force of gravity must equal its centripital force. This will translate directly into an equation for velocity from centripital acceleration or froce.

musicfairy said:
For part a I came up with the equation

mgh = (1/2)mv2 + (1/2)mv2 + 2mgR
gh = (7/10)v2 + 2gR
OK. (That second term in your first equation should be rotational KE.)

I think that's right, but I can't figure out how to solve for v. I'm guessing that It has something to do with centripetal force.
Right. Apply Newton's 2nd law to solve for v.

Part b probably needs an answer from part a.
Not really.
The horizontal component of the force is the normal force (= centripetal force?).
Yep.

For that I meant to say 1/5mv2

For part a I set N = 0 at the top of the loop

N + mg = mv2/(R-r)

g = v2/(R-r)

v2 = g(R-r)

gh = (7/10)g(R-r) + 2gR

h = (7/10)g(R-r) + 2R

Part b

Using the equation from earlier...

g(6R) = (7/10)v2 + gR
v2 = (50/7)gR

N = mv2 / (R-r)
N = m(50gR)/(7(R-r))

But it won't take my answer. =(

What did I do wrong now?

musicfairy said:
For that I meant to say 1/5mv2

For part a I set N = 0 at the top of the loop

N + mg = mv2/(R-r)

g = v2/(R-r)

v2 = g(R-r)

gh = (7/10)g(R-r) + 2gR

h = (7/10)g(R-r) + 2R
The height of the ball's center at the top of the motion should be 2R-r, not 2R.

Part b

Using the equation from earlier...

g(6R) = (7/10)v2 + gR
v2 = (50/7)gR

N = mv2 / (R-r)
N = m(50gR)/(7(R-r))
This looks OK to me.

1. What is conservation of energy with rotational motion?

The conservation of energy with rotational motion is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed between different forms.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to rotational motion?

In rotational motion, conservation of energy applies in the sense that the total amount of energy in a rotating system remains constant. As an object rotates, its kinetic energy and potential energy may change, but the total amount of energy always remains the same.

3. What types of energy are involved in rotational motion?

In rotational motion, there are two types of energy involved: kinetic energy and potential energy. An object's kinetic energy is its energy of motion, while its potential energy is its energy due to its position or orientation.

4. How is angular momentum related to conservation of energy in rotational motion?

Angular momentum is the measure of an object's rotational motion, and it is also conserved in a closed system. This means that as an object's angular velocity changes, its moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) changes in the opposite direction, resulting in a constant angular momentum.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of energy in rotational motion?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and applies to all forms of motion, including rotational motion. However, in real-world situations, there may be small losses of energy due to friction or other external factors, but the total amount of energy in the system still remains constant.