Consciousness and the Ship of Theseus

In summary: Please try /r/askphilosophy.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the ship of Theseus and how it relates to the replacement of human brain cells. It also brings up the question of whether consciousness can survive after physical death. The speaker suggests that if they were to replace their brain with artificial parts, would they still retain their subjective experience and potentially become a robot.
GladScientist
I'm sure many of you have heard of the ship of Theseus. If not,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

"The ship wherein Theseus and the youth of Athens returned [from Crete] had thirty oars, and was preserved by the Athenians down even to the time of Demetrius Phalereus, for they took away the old planks as they decayed, putting in new and stronger timber in their place, insomuch that this ship became a standing example among the philosophers, for the logical question of things that grow; one side holding that the ship remained the same, and the other contending that it was not the same."
-Plutarch, Theseus

Now, you know where I'm going with this. The human brain is replaced one part at a time, and after about seven years, it contains no parts from the original. Most would agree that a human being's consciousness will survive after they have died.

When I say consciousness, I am talking about the purely subjective ability to experience experiences. After my brain has been replaced entirely, (hopefully) I will subjectively still experience being alive even though my brain has quite literally been turned into mush and replaced by a new one.

Now what if I create processors that can mimic the functions of parts of my brain, and replaced these parts one at a time? Would I eventually, subjectively get to experience being a robot?

Physics news on Phys.org
GladScientist said:
Now, you know where I'm going with this. The human brain is replaced one part at a time, and after about seven years, it contains no parts from the original. Most would agree that a human being's consciousness will survive after they have died.
I would hope that most would not agree.

I'm sorry but this does not meet the requirements for posting in philosophy.

1. What is the Ship of Theseus thought experiment?

The Ship of Theseus is a philosophical thought experiment that questions the concept of personal identity and the idea of whether an object can maintain its identity over time. It uses the example of a ship that has been gradually replaced with new parts, and poses the question of whether it is still the same ship.

2. How does the Ship of Theseus relate to consciousness?

The Ship of Theseus thought experiment can be applied to the concept of consciousness, as it raises questions about the continuity of consciousness and whether it can be preserved through change. It also highlights the idea that consciousness is not a fixed entity, but rather a fluid and ever-changing phenomenon.

3. Can consciousness be transferred to another body?

This is a highly debated question with no definitive answer. Some argue that consciousness is solely based on the physical brain and therefore cannot be transferred, while others believe that consciousness is non-local and can exist outside of the body. The Ship of Theseus thought experiment can be used to explore this question further.

4. How does the Ship of Theseus challenge our understanding of personal identity?

The Ship of Theseus thought experiment challenges our understanding of personal identity by raising the question of what makes us who we are. Is it our physical bodies, our memories, or something else? The thought experiment forces us to consider the possibility of an ever-changing sense of self.

5. Is there a solution to the Ship of Theseus paradox?

There is no definitive solution to the Ship of Theseus paradox. The thought experiment is designed to provoke thought and challenge our perspectives on identity and consciousness. Some philosophers argue that the paradox has no solution, while others propose various theories and interpretations. Ultimately, it is up to individuals to come to their own conclusions based on their beliefs and understanding of the concept.