Consciousness vs Natural Instinct

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between consciousness and unconsciousness, and the idea that consciousness is an illusion created by electrical signals. It questions what would happen to life if consciousness ceased to exist and whether we would lose natural instincts if we were unconscious. The conversation ends with the suggestion to sleep on the topic.
Brendan_086
I am having trouble deciphering the difference between consciousness and and unconsciousness.
If Consciousness is an illusion created by electrical signals that project what we call reality, would this mean if it seased to exisit so would life?
and would we lose natural instincts such has hunger, pain, happyness, and the desire to reproduce in order survive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Brendan_086 said:
I am having trouble deciphering the difference between consciousness and and unconsciousness.
If Consciousness is an illusion created by electrical signals that project what we call reality, would this mean if it seased to exisit so would life?
and would we lose natural instincts such has hunger, pain, happyness, and the desire to reproduce in order survive?
I don't know. Let me sleep on it.

When you sleep you aren't conscious but you aren't dead either, you still move and react to things.

Related to Consciousness vs Natural Instinct

What is consciousness and natural instinct?

Consciousness is the state of being aware and perceiving one's surroundings, thoughts, and feelings. Natural instinct, on the other hand, refers to innate, automatic behaviors that are necessary for survival.

How do consciousness and natural instinct differ?

The main difference between consciousness and natural instinct is that consciousness involves conscious thought and decision-making, while natural instinct is largely subconscious and automatic.

Can consciousness override natural instinct?

Yes, consciousness has the ability to override natural instinct through conscious reasoning and decision-making. This is often seen in situations where an individual must make a decision that goes against their natural instinct for survival.

Do all living beings have consciousness and natural instinct?

While all living beings have natural instinct, not all of them possess consciousness. Consciousness is believed to be a higher cognitive function that is present in humans and some animals, but not in all living beings.

Is consciousness a product of natural instinct?

There is no consensus among scientists about the relationship between consciousness and natural instinct. Some believe that consciousness has evolved from natural instinct, while others argue that they are separate and distinct processes.