Can I operate a 230V, 50 Hz, 500 W german oscillating saw

  • Thread starter Thread starter miforensic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    German Oscillating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 1K views
miforensic
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Can I operate a 230V, 50 Hz, 500 W German oscillating saw in the US? I purchased for it a 1000 W step-up voltage converter in order to convert to 110 V, 60 Hz electricity used here in US. I am worried that 1000 W may not be enough. I am using the unit for 3-4 minutes at a time, once a week.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Those beautiful "Feins." Never had mine get hot, but it's made for U.S. mains. Kilowatt converter should keep it happy.
 
Bystander said:
Those beautiful "Feins." Never had mine get hot, but it's made for U.S. mains. Kilowatt converter should keep it happy.
Thank you, the unit is an "Elektrik Power" cast saw. I was worried about the switch from the German 230 V, 50 Hz to our 110 V 60 Hz and the overheating of the tool.
 
miforensic said:
Hz to our 110 V 60 Hz and
Wait a minute --- the converter does take 110 V 60 Hz and put out the 230 V 50 Hz?
 
The 1000 W voltage converter is a step-up/step-down unit and I assume that being operated here in US will take 110 V and 60 Hz. The German tool is meant to operate under 230 V, 50 Hz and 500 W. The manufacturer just email me that it should work.
 
Might run a little faster this side of the pond, 60 vs. 50 Hz. Thought I'd double-check you.
 
If you can find the service manual - you may see the motor connections and determine what type it is using. If it is a universal motor you will probably be OK.