1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of 4-Momentum

1. Feb 23, 2017 #1
    This problem assumes working in natural units where ##c=1##, and using the Minkowski metric where the time component is positive and the space ones negative (as I know the opposite convention is just as commonly used).

EDIT: I had intended to display 4-vectors as bold and the 3-vectors with the arrow but forgot that it wont parse the Tex properly. So I left the 3-vectors with the arrows, and if it has no arrow and has no component subscript (i.e. x/y/z) assume its a 4-vector.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Particle u of mass ##m_u## has total energy ##E_u## in the the frame of the lab. It decays into two new particles, particle v of mass ##m_v## and particle w of mass ##m_w##.

Show that in particle u's rest frame, the energy of outgoing particle v is given by ##E_v = \frac{m_u^2+m_v^2-m_w^2}{2m_u}##

2. Relevant equations
    ##p \cdot p = m^2##
    ##E^2 = m^2 + |\vec{p}|^2##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Never done conservation of four momentum problem before, but I assume that it is the case that ##p_u = p_v + p_w## and with the energy components being conserved, and the 3-momentum components being conserved, so that ##p_u = (E_v + E_w, \vec{p_v} + \vec{p_w})## ?

So far I have done,

[tex]
    p_w = p_u - p_v \\
    p_w \cdot p_w = (p_u - p_v) \cdot (p_u - p_v) \\
    m_w^2 = m_u^2 + m_v^2 - 2 ( p_u \cdot p_v ) \\
    p_u \cdot p_v = \frac{m_u^2+m_v^2-m_w^2}{2}
    [/tex]

Which implies that ##p_u \cdot p_v = E_v m_u ## but this is where I come unstuck and cant get that result.

I have that ##p_u = (E_v + E_w, \vec{p_v} + \vec{p_w}) = (E_u , \vec{p_u}) ##
    and that ##p_v = (E_v , \vec{p_v}) ##

Doing the dot product I get,
    [tex]
    p_u \cdot p_v = E_v(Ev + E_w) - \vec{p_v}(\vec{p_v}+\vec{p_w}) \\
    p_u \cdot p_v = E_v^2+E_v E_w - p_{v_x}^2 - p_{w_x}^2 - p_{v_y}^2 - p_{w_y}^2 - p_{v_z}^2 - p_{w_z}^2
    [/tex]

I am not sure if this is the correct way to go about it, but I cant seem to progress from here, not sure if it is because I have gone down the wrong path or if its just a algebra/connection issue. Any help/advice is much appreciated, thanks :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nice

This follows easily if you keep in mind that you are in the rest frame of particle u.

4. Feb 24, 2017 #3
    Thanks for reminding about that, managed to get it now, since ##p_u = (E_u, 0)=(m_u,0)##, Cheers :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted