Conservation of angular momentum and spin

In summary, the Einstein-de Haas effect is a phenomenon that occurs when the magnetic moments of particles are aligned in a particular way. This can be done by applying an external field that can flip the dipoles of the particles.
Khashishi
Science Advisor
My understanding is that spin angular momentum is just as real as bulk angular momentum. So, if we get the spin of some electrons in an object to flip, then the object should start spinning in the opposite direction to conserve angular momentum. Right?

If we mount a permanent magnet in an external magnetic field in such a way as to allow the magnet to rotate along the field direction, and allow the magnet to align with the external field, and let the magnet come to rest, then reverse the polarity of the external magnetic field. Then, the magnet should start turning, right?

Or, if we heat up the magnet past the Curie point, we should see some change in bulk rotation, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming individual electron spins are coupled to the bulk rotation of the whole magnet.
Certainly, to conserve angular momentum, flipping the spin of an electron does require something else to also flip.

In the experiment described, the action of the external field would be to align the magnetic moments of the susceptible components of the magnet. Having achieved that, releasing the magnet, then reversing the field, does, indeed, result in a rotation of the magnet. That's how you make a compass needle. But I don't think this is what you mean.

Do you have something specific in mind?

I mean, if we constrain the magnet to rotate only along the z axis. Then apply an external field strong enough to flip the poles of the magnet. Has this experiment been done already?

You mean if we get all the dipoles in the magnet aligned predominantly one way, and set the magnet to pivot only about that axis, then flip the dipoles?

I do not know if that has been attempted.

Ok, I found the answer. It's called the Einstein-de Haas effect.
What's with this Einstein guy. Frickin everywhere.

Last edited:
Oh well done! I was trawling for just that myself.
The trick is figuring out the right search term.

1. What is conservation of angular momentum and spin?

The conservation of angular momentum and spin is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that the angular momentum of a system cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between different objects or forms.

2. How is angular momentum and spin conserved?

Angular momentum and spin are conserved through the principle of action and reaction, also known as Newton's third law of motion. This law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of angular momentum and spin, this means that when one object gains angular momentum, another object must lose an equal amount of angular momentum.

3. What are some examples of conservation of angular momentum and spin?

One common example of conservation of angular momentum and spin is the classic spinning top toy. As the top spins, its angular momentum is conserved due to its rotation and the reaction of the surface it is spinning on. Another example is seen in figure skating, as the skater begins to spin faster by pulling their arms and legs closer to their body, demonstrating conservation of spin.

4. Can conservation of angular momentum and spin be violated?

No, conservation of angular momentum and spin is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. However, it may appear that it is being violated in some situations due to external forces, such as friction or air resistance, that can affect the transfer of angular momentum and spin.

5. How is conservation of angular momentum and spin related to the conservation of energy?

Angular momentum and spin are closely related to the conservation of energy, as both are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of physical systems. In fact, in certain situations, conservation of angular momentum and spin can be used to derive the conservation of energy and vice versa. Both principles play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.