How Fast Must a Bullet Travel to Tip a Cube on Its Edge?

In summary, the bullet becomes embedded in the cube when it hits it at a height of 4a/3. The minimum value of v required to tip the cube so that it falls on face ABCD is 1/2mv^2.
gaborfk
:cry:

Can someone please help me with the following problem:

A solid cube of wood of side 2a and mass M is resting on a horizontal surface. The cube is constrained to rotate about an axis AB. A bullet of mass m and speed v is shot at the face opposite ABCD at a height of 4a/3. The bullet becoes embedded in the cube. Find the minimum value of v required to tip the cube so that it falls on face ABCD. Assume m<<M.

This is what I got so far:

I understand that it is a perfectly inelastic collision and that

mv=(m+M)V

L(initial)=I*Omega where I is the combined Inertia for both object. The I for a cube rotating around one of its edge is I=(8Ma^2)/3 and the bullet is a point mass with an r of sgrt((4a/3)^2+(2a)^2).

omega=V/R where V is the final speed and R is the radius of rotation, which is ...?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
gaborfk said:
This is what I got so far:

I understand that it is a perfectly inelastic collision and that

mv=(m+M)V
This won't help. Since the cube is constrained, translational momentum is not conserved. But angular momentum is conserved. (Hint: How much energy is needed to topple the "cube + bullet"?)

"mv=(m+M)V"
Careful about this one!
You cannot use this with respect to the C.M. of the bullet+cube system, since that system is affected by an external force comparable in magnitude of the internal forces.
That external force acts from the axis to which the cube is constrained, ensuring that the cube's contact velocity (with the axis) remains zero throughout the collision.

Do you agree so far?

Note:
it's only fair that Doc Al beats me occasionally..:wink:

So then

K(initial)=K(final)

Bullet K(initial)=1/2mv^2
Bullet + Block= K(final)=1/2I*omega^2

1/2mv^2=1/2I*omega^2

where I is the combination of both bullet and block, I(block)=(8M(2a)^2)/3 and I(bullet)=mr^2 where r is sgrt[(4a/3)^2+(2a)^2]. Also, omega is=V/R where V is the final speed of a point on the block.

Can you please double check...

But how about R and how do I figure out how much Energy is needed in order to topple?

Why do you think kinetic energy is conserved in the collision?
Doc Al wrote that the system's angular momentum is conserved (with respect to a point lying on the fixed axis)

During the collision, angular momentum is conserved; after the collision, mechanical energy is conserved.

How about this:

Angular momentum right before the collision for the bullet is

mvr where r is the distance from the rotation point.

After the collision for the bullet

mr^2*omega

The block's angular momentum after the collision is

L=I*omega

In both cases omega is the angular velocity of the block, which breaks down to omega=V/R

So is it mvr=mr^2*omega+I*omega?

mvr=mr^2*(V/R)+I(V/R)

I=(8M(2a)^2)/3

Is R SQRT[8a^2]? How about V?

gaborfk said:
Angular momentum right before the collision for the bullet is

mvr where r is the distance from the rotation point.
Careful: [itex]\vec{L} = \vec{r}\times m\vec{v}[/itex]

After the collision for the bullet

mr^2*omega

The block's angular momentum after the collision is

L=I*omega
OK. What's the rotational inertia of the cube about its edge?

Since m << M, you can probably ignore the moment of inertia of the bullet.

You should be able to find [itex]\omega[/itex] in terms of the bullet speed v. What minimum value of [itex]\omega[/itex] is required to get the cube to tip? (That's where energy conservation will come in.)

so [tex]L=rx\omega[/tex] so it is the cross product...

that means that I need to take the perpendicular component to r which is the [tex]\sin[\theta][/tex] of the bullet's angle of impact to r?

Rotational Inertia of the block around its edge is:

[tex]I=\frac{8M(2a)^2}{3}[/tex]?

gaborfk said:
so [tex]L=rx\omega[/tex] so it is the cross product...

that means that I need to take the perpendicular component to r which is the [tex]\sin[\theta][/tex] of the bullet's angle of impact to r?
Sure. Or you can find the perpendicular distance between the velocity vector and the the axis---that's given to you.

Rotational Inertia of the block around its edge is:

[tex]I=\frac{8M(2a)^2}{3}[/tex]?
Doesn't look right to me. I'd say the rotational inertia would be [itex]I = 2/3 Ms^2[/itex], where s is the edge length, in your case s = 2a, but you'd better check it.

I thought that [tex]L=\frac{2}{3}Ms^2[/tex]is if the center of rotation is in the center of the cube. I will use the parallel axis formula to move it's rotational axis to see what I get...

With the axis in the center of the cube, the rotational inertia would be [itex]I = 1/6 Ms^2[/itex]

Still in need of understanding

I am still having trouble finding [tex]\omega[/tex] in terms of the bullet's speed v. I do not understand how conservation of energy comes into play after the collision.

BTW. You were right about the rotational inertia of the cube around it's edge.

[tex]I=\frac{2}{3}Ms^2[/tex] since s=2a [tex]I=\frac{2}{3}M(2a)^2
I=\frac{2}{3}M4a^2=\frac{8}{3}Ma^2[/tex]

Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving!

gaborfk said:
I am still having trouble finding [tex]\omega[/tex] in terms of the bullet's speed v.
This is just conservation of angular momentum: initial angular momentum (due to the bullet, in terms of v) equals angular momentum of rotating cube (in terms of [itex]\omega[/itex]) immediately after the collision.
I do not understand how conservation of energy comes into play after the collision.
Immediately after the collision, the cube+bullet has some kinetic energy. As the cube tips up, KE is transformed to gravitational PE. So, how much energy is needed to make it tip over? (If it doesn't have enough KE, it will just fall back down again. It's just like if you wanted to roll a ball over the top of a hill: how much energy do you have to give it at the bottom to make it all the way to the top and over?)

BTW. You were right about the rotational inertia of the cube around it's edge.
I know. :wink:

Initial Angular due to the bullet

[tex]L_{i} =mvr\sin{\theta}[/tex]

Where [tex]r\sin{\theta}=d[/tex]

Which is given as [tex]d=\frac{4a}{3}[/tex]

so [tex]L_{i} =mv\frac{4a}{3}[/tex]

Final Angular velocity of cube+bullet (bullet can be ignored, as you pointed out)

[tex]L_{f} =I\omega[/tex]

Where [tex]I=\frac{8}{3}Ma^2[/tex]

So [tex]L_{i} =L_{f}[/tex]

Yields [tex]mv\frac{4a}{3}=\frac{8}{3}Ma^2\omega[/tex]

Solve it for [tex]\omega[/tex] and plug it into below...

KE+PE=0?

[tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}[/tex]

It has to rise higher than when the cube is it's corner which is
[tex]2a=\sqrt{h^{2}+h^{2}}[/tex] so [tex]h=\sqrt{2}a[/tex]

That is how far I got... Is PE=Mgh? Or is it KE=PE so, KE-PE=0...

Last edited:
gaborfk said:
That is how far I got... I still do not know PE for the cube...
You're almost there. Consider that [itex]\Delta {KE} + \Delta{PE} = 0[/itex]. The change in PE of the cube is [itex]Mg\Delta{h}[/itex], where [itex]\Delta{h}[/itex] is the change in height of the cube's center of mass.

My last question for the week...

The cube has to rotate over it's edge. In order to do that I put the cube on it's corner figured out the height of a side corner to the groud..

So is h going to be [tex]2a=\sqrt{h^{2}+h^{2}}[/tex]

yields that [tex]h=\sqrt{2}a[/tex]

Now I plug all that into the KE+PE=0 equation, solve for v and then make v larger than what I get on the other side. This way if v is larger it should have enough energy to rotate over a height h, which is the max height of a side corner if the cube is stands on one of it's corners.

gaborfk said:
So is h going to be [tex]2a=\sqrt{h^{2}+h^{2}}[/tex]
I assume you mean: [itex]h =\sqrt{a^{2}+a^{2}}[/itex]

yields that [tex]h=\sqrt{2}a[/tex]
That's the final height of the center of mass. What is the change in height?

Now I plug all that into the KE+PE=0 equation, solve for v and then make v larger than what I get on the other side. This way if v is larger it should have enough energy to rotate over a height h, which is the max height of a side corner if the cube is stands on one of it's corners.
Right! Be sure to use the change in height, not just the height.

The change in height is

[tex]h_{f}-h_{i}=\sqrt{2}a-a=(\sqrt{2}-1)a[/tex]

Damn, that is going to be messy...

I am getting

[tex]v=\sqrt{-\frac{3(\sqrt{2}-1)Mga}{m}}[/tex]

Which I think is wrong, since I got a negative under the SQRT.

Are we sure that it is [tex]\Delta KE+\Delta PE=0[/tex]

and not [tex]\Delta KE=\Delta PE[/tex] initial KE transfers to final PE

which is [tex]\Delta KE-\Delta PE=0[/tex] ?

gaborfk said:
I am getting

[tex]v=\sqrt{-\frac{3(\sqrt{2}-1)Mga}{m}}[/tex]

Which I think is wrong, since I got a negative under the SQRT.
Yep, that's not right. (It's pretty close though; check over your work.)

Are we sure that it is [tex]\Delta KE+\Delta PE=0[/tex]
That's just a statement of energy conservation. You are probably mixing up your signs somewhere. As the cube tips up, KE decreases and PE increases.

I can not see it...

So here it is.

[tex]I=\frac{8}{3}Ma^2[/tex]

[tex]\omega=\frac{mv\frac{4a}{3}}{\frac{8}{3}Ma^2}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{mv}{Ma}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta KE=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

[tex]\Delta PE=Mg(\sqrt{2}-1)a[/tex]

[tex]\Delta KE+\Delta PE=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\frac{8}{3}Ma^2)(\frac{1}{2}\frac{mv}{Ma}})^2+(Mg(\sqrt{2}-1)a)=0[/tex]

[tex](\frac{4}{3}Ma^2)(\frac{m^2v^2}{4M^2a^2})+(Mg(\sqrt{2}-1)a)=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{m^{2}v^{2}}{3M}+(Mg(\sqrt{2}-1)a)=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{m^{2}v^{2}}{3M}=-(Mg(\sqrt{2}-1)a)[/tex]

[tex]v^{2}=-\frac{Mg(\sqrt{2}-1)a}{\frac{m^{2}}{3M}}[/tex]

[tex]v=\sqrt{-\frac{3(\sqrt{2}-1)M^{2}ga}{m^{2}}[/tex]

Is g negative, because it is acting againts to motion? That would fix the negative sign...

Last edited:
gaborfk said:
I can not see it...

So here it is.

[tex]I=\frac{8}{3}Ma^2[/tex]

[tex]\omega=\frac{mv\frac{4a}{3}}{\frac{8}{3}Ma^2}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{mv}{Ma}[/tex]
Right.

[tex]\Delta KE=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]
No, [itex]\Delta {KE} = - 1/2 I\omega^2[/itex]. KE decreases so [itex]\Delta {KE}[/itex] is negative.

[tex]v=\sqrt{-\frac{3(\sqrt{2}-1)M^{2}ga}{m^{2}}[/tex]
Exactly right... except for that minus sign! :smile:

Thank you very much! You guys, Doc Al and Arildno, always got the answers!

Bye

1. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant if no external torque is applied. This means that the amount of rotational motion in a system will not change unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved through the principle of inertia, which states that an object will continue to rotate at a constant rate unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that if there are no external forces acting on a rotating object, its angular momentum will remain constant.

3. What are some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum?

Some examples of conservation of angular momentum in everyday life include the rotation of a spinning top, the motion of a spinning gyroscope, and the orbit of planets around the sun. These systems all demonstrate the conservation of angular momentum because they continue to rotate at a constant rate unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How is angular momentum related to rotational inertia?

Angular momentum and rotational inertia are directly related, as rotational inertia is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion. The higher the rotational inertia, the more angular momentum an object will have. This means that objects with a higher rotational inertia will be more difficult to stop or change their rotation.

5. Can angular momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between objects through collisions or interactions. However, the total angular momentum of the system will remain the same as long as no external torque is applied. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.