Conservation of Charge in Series Capacitors.

In summary: So, the total charge will be divided among the two capacitors according to their capacitance values. In summary, when two differently charged capacitors are connected in series, the total charge will be divided among the two capacitors according to their capacitance values, resulting in different charges on each capacitor. This may seem to violate the conservation of charge, but it is explained by the fact that the voltage across the capacitors remains the same when the switch is closed.
Bigger than smaller
Hi. I have a question about conservation of charge when two differently charged capacitors are connected in series. I know this is like a homework problem of introductory level of physics, but since this is not my homework, I decided to post it here.

So, here is the story. There are two capacitors connected in series with offed switch (no battery, and ideal wire). One has (C1,V1,Q1) and the other has (C2,V2,Q2) as its capacitance,voltage and charge respectively. Now switch is on, and charge on one of the capacitor flows into the other capacitor.

What I am curious is charge on each capacitor after this process. For capacitors in series, they are supposed to be occupied the same amount of charge. Therefore, total charge is Qtot=Q1+Q2 and charge on each capacitor should be Qtot/2.

However, if I approach this problem using voltage, capacitance relations, then I got quite different answer. In other words, total voltage of series capacitor is Vtot=V1+V2. and equivalent capacitance is Ceq=(1/C1+1/C2)^-1. Thus, charge on this set of capacitors is Q=Vtot*Ctot=(V1+V2)C1C2/(C1+C2). This should be also the same as charge occupied in each capacitor.

Through both calculations, I realized that the answer is completely different. I think the second calculation is making sense logically, (because the first method seems quite intuitive) but it seems violating conservation of charge. Could you give me any advice for this? Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bigger than smaller said:
There are two capacitors connected in series with offed switch (no battery, and ideal wire).
They are in parallel. When you close the switch, it's the voltage across them that remains same, not the charge.

What is conservation of charge in series capacitors?

In series capacitors, the total charge stored is conserved. This means that the sum of the charges in each capacitor remains constant, even if the capacitors are connected in series.

How does conservation of charge apply to series capacitors?

Conservation of charge is a fundamental law of physics that states that charge cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or redistributed. In series capacitors, the charges on the plates of each capacitor are redistributed, but the total charge remains the same.

Why is conservation of charge important in series capacitors?

Conservation of charge is important in series capacitors because it ensures that the total charge stored in the capacitors remains constant. This allows for proper functioning of the capacitors and prevents damage to the circuit.

What happens if conservation of charge is not maintained in series capacitors?

If conservation of charge is not maintained in series capacitors, the total charge stored in the capacitors will not be constant. This can lead to imbalances in the circuit and potential damage to the capacitors or other components.

How is conservation of charge related to other laws of physics in series capacitors?

Conservation of charge is related to other laws of physics, such as Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the sum of the currents entering and leaving a junction must be equal and the sum of the voltage drops around a closed loop must be equal. These laws help to ensure that conservation of charge is maintained in series capacitors.