Conservation of energy derived from Newton's Laws?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show conservation of energy using only gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy from Newton's Laws. The student is unsure of which equations to use and whether F=ma is enough. They also mention using the concept of Newton's third law to derive conservation of momentum. The full definition of Newton's third law is provided and it is explained how it relates to the conservation of momentum. Finally, it is suggested to use F=ma and the concept of Newton's third law to prove conservation of energy for a body moving under gravity or in a collision problem.
n0083

Homework Statement

"Show how conservation of energy (with only gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy) can be gotten from Newton's Laws.

This was the question that was asked of me, and sorry for the wording not being terribly precise.

Homework Equations

I am not exactly sure which equations are allowed and which aren't.
I assume F=ma, but i am not sure about Fg = GmM/r^2, W=Fd, or kinematic equations.

By Newton's Laws do they mean more than the "three laws"?

The student had not studied calculus yet.

The Attempt at a Solution

For instance, if using (i) F=ma, (ii) vf^2=vo^2+2ad, and (iii) W=Fd, we can do the following:
i&ii) Fd = m(vf^2 - vo^2)/2 ==> Fd = (1/2)*m*vf^2 - (1/2)*m*vi^2
iii&previous) W = (1/2)*m*vf^2 - (1/2)*m*vi^2

But this required more than simply F=ma, nammely (ii) and (iii).

I read online that conservation of momentum can be derived from Newton's third law. How?
Newton's third law is not really an equation, but more of a 'concept'.
I am failing to understand something here.

Thanks for your help to discuss/answer this vague question,

Physics news on Phys.org
The full definition of Newton's third law (translated from the Latin but not by me!) states:

If a body impinges upon another, and by its force changes the motion of the other, that body also (because of the equality of the mutual pressure) will undergo an equal change, in its own motion, toward the contrary part. The changes made by these actions are equal, not in the velocities but in the motions of the bodies; that is to say, if the bodies are not hindered by any other impediments. For, as the motions are equally changed, the changes of the velocities made toward contrary parts are reciprocally proportional to the bodies.

So what is equal is "changes in the motions". This sounds to me like "overall momentum is conserved".

using F=ma we can easily show that [tex]\int[/tex]F.ds=(1/2)mv2
Now d/dt{[tex]\int[/tex]F.ds} = d/dt{(1/2)mv2}
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] d/dt{[tex]\int[/tex]F.ds-(1/2)mv2}=0
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] (1/2)mv2-[tex]\int[/tex]F.ds=constant

Use this to prove conservation of energy. In the case of a body moving under gravity the constant will be initial kinetic energy and the integral will become mgh. for a collision problem u can use Newtons third law to prove conservation of energy.

Last edited:

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. This principle is derived from Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that objects at rest stay at rest and objects in motion stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does conservation of energy relate to Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. This means that when an object is acted upon by a force, it will experience a change in its motion. In the context of conservation of energy, this means that when an external force acts on an object, the object's kinetic energy will change, but the total energy of the system will remain constant.

3. Can energy be lost in a closed system?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be lost or gained in a closed system. This means that in a system where no external forces are acting, the total amount of energy will remain constant. Energy may be converted between different forms, but the total amount will remain the same.

4. How does conservation of energy apply to real-world scenarios?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle that applies to all physical systems, including real-world scenarios. For example, in a roller coaster, the potential energy at the top of the first hill is converted into kinetic energy as the coaster speeds down the track. At the bottom of the hill, the kinetic energy is then converted back into potential energy as the coaster goes up the next hill.

5. Why is conservation of energy important in scientific research?

Conservation of energy is important in scientific research because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of physical systems. By knowing that energy cannot be created or destroyed, scientists can accurately predict the outcomes of experiments and make calculations based on the conservation of energy principle.