Conservation of energy, determining the speed from the change in position

In summary, the problem involves a bullet with mass m being shot into a block of wood with mass M at a velocity v. The bullet becomes lodged in the block, which is attached to a string of length l. After the impact, the string forms an angle a with the vertical axis. Using the equations for conservation of mechanical energy and momentum, the initial velocity of the bullet can be found to be 42m/s. However, this does not take into account the loss of energy due to the collision, and the correct answer is actually 825m/s.
zakare

Homework Statement

A bullet with a masse (m) is shot into a block of wood with a masse (M) at a velocity of (v). The bullet is lodged into the block of wood which is attached to a string of (l) length. After the impact where the velocity of the wood-bullet mass is equivalent to zero, the string forms an angle (a) with the vertical axis.

m = 0.02kg
M = 15kg
angle a = 20 degrees
l = 1 meter
v = ?m/s

Homework Equations

E(mec initial) = E(mec final) = mgh + 1/2*mv²

The Attempt at a Solution

E(mec final) = E(mec initial)
1/2*mv² = (m + M)gh

v = sqrt((2(M + m)gh)/m)

h = 2sin²(a/2)

and I get the answer: 42m/s
The correct answer is 825m/s.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

zakare said:
E(mec final) = E(mec initial)
1/2*mv² = (m + M)gh

Hi zakare! Welcome to PF! :smile:

This is not an elastic collision.

The bullet embeds in the block, and energy is lost.

You can only use conservation of momentum for the collision (but you can use conservation of energy after the collision).

Use momentum to find the velocity immediately after the collision, then use energy! :smile:

To reiterate what Tiny Tim just said, you need to see up two equations. One for conservation of mechanical energy after the collision and one for conservation of momentum during.

By doing so, you can solve for both the initial velocity of the bullet and final velocity.

Also, "1/2*mv² = (m + M)gh" should be [tex]\frac{1}{2}(m+M)v^{2}_{f}=(m+M)gh[/tex] since the bullet is lodged in the wood block so the mass is the total mass of the bullet and the wood block.

Also, how did you get h? You are given [tex]\theta[/tex] with the vertical, l=length of the string. Now find h (the height reached at the top of the swing) using a simple trig identity.

Last edited:
I don't see why I should use momentum because at the end of the sequence the bullet-block combination is motionless (vfinal = 0) and the angle is the angle max.

And to konthelion:
Why wouldn't it be what I wrote if the initial velocity of the bullet is what contains all the energy of the system (in kinetic form), and afterwards all the energy is in potential gravitational form...

Hi zakare! :smile:
zakare said:
I don't see why I should use momentum because at the end of the sequence the bullet-block combination is motionless (vfinal = 0) and the angle is the angle max.

You always have conservation of momentum in collisions.
… afterwards all the energy is in potential gravitational form...

No it isn't!

Some of the energy has gone into the bullet pushing into the block, also heat and sound.

Energy is not conserved.

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is conservation of energy related to determining speed from the change in position?

In order to determine an object's speed from the change in position, we use the principle of conservation of energy to calculate the potential and kinetic energy of the object. By equating these energies, we can solve for the object's speed.

3. Can conservation of energy be violated?

No, conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been observed to hold true in all physical systems. There are no known cases where conservation of energy has been violated.

4. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of energy principle?

There are some scenarios where it may appear that energy is not conserved, but upon closer examination, it can be seen that energy has only been transferred or converted to a different form. For example, in a collision between two objects, kinetic energy may appear to be lost, but it has actually been converted to other forms such as heat or sound.

5. How is conservation of energy important for the environment and sustainability?

Conservation of energy is crucial for environmental sustainability because it encourages the use of renewable energy sources and reduces our reliance on non-renewable resources. By conserving energy, we can also reduce our carbon footprint and mitigate the effects of climate change.