Conservation of Energy involving Spring

In summary, the problem involves a 30kg mass attached to a spring with a force constant of 1000N/m, released to rest and ignoring air resistance. The maximum extension of the spring is found using Conservation of Energy, and when the mass reaches equilibrium, the tension of the spring is equal to mg. This results in an Elastic Potential Energy stored in the spring, which is half the change in Gravitational Potential Energy. The remaining energy goes into heat in the spring due to air resistance.
Beespring
Given a problem : A 30kg mass is attached to the lower end of an almost massless spring with force constant k=1000N/m. The mass is then released to rest. Ignoring air resistance, what is the maximum extension of the spring? Note : The spring is said to obey Hooke's Law [F=-kx; Elastic Potentaial Energy=(1/2)(k)(x)(x)] _

I use Conservation of Energy to solve this problem whereby the original Gravitational Potential Energy mgh is converted 100% to the Elastic Potential Energy (1/2)(k)(h)(h) when the spring is monentarily at rest, where h is the max extension of the spring. I get h=0.6m.

When the mass reaches its final equilibrium position, the tension of the spring is equal to mg, i.e. khe=mg where he is the extension length at equilibrium. Therefore he=0.3m. The Elastic Potential Energy stored in the spring is then (1/2)(1000)(0.3)(0.3)=45J. This is half the change in Gravitational PE from before the mass is released which is mgh=30(10)(0.3)=90J [take g=10m/s^2]. How does this reconcile with the Principle of Conservation of Energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe I can answer this one.

When you used the conservation of energy method to find when the energies equal each other, that is the MAXIMUM displacement. When you drop something onto a spring, you'll notice that the spring will initially compress a lot, and when it reaches equilibrium (stops bouncing), the spring will be compressed a lot less than it was when you first dropped the object.

But where has the 45J of PE gone to & how?

Hi Shawn,

Thks for your reply. I understand about the oscillations the spring undergoes before coming to its equilibrium rest, that's why I use the Conservation of Energy method to find the maximum extension. But where has the 45J of PE gone to & how?`

In reality, it goes into heat in the spring.
In theory, it doesn't go anywhere at all. The spring will oscillate forever.

Take a piece of metal, and bend it back and forth a lot; the metal will get very hot.
You can get a nice piece of metal from inside your computer where the drive bays are (unless you've already taken those out).

Spring slows down because of air resistance?

Thks for your prompt reply, Shawn. I got the same answer from other websites after posting the question too. Just to confirm, the spring slows down because of air resistance in reality? Which is doing negative work done thus reducing the total mechanical energy.

Yep that's correct.

What is the conservation of energy involving a spring?

The conservation of energy involving a spring is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In the case of a spring, the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into kinetic energy as the spring is compressed or stretched.

How does a spring store potential energy?

A spring stores potential energy through its ability to be compressed or stretched. As the spring is compressed, potential energy is stored in the bonds between the atoms of the spring, which act like tiny springs themselves. This potential energy is released when the spring is allowed to return to its original shape.

What factors affect the amount of potential energy stored in a spring?

The amount of potential energy stored in a spring is affected by three factors: the spring's stiffness or spring constant, the distance the spring is compressed or stretched, and the mass attached to the spring. A stiffer spring, a greater distance of compression or stretching, and a heavier mass will result in a greater amount of potential energy stored.

How does conservation of energy apply to a spring in motion?

When a spring is in motion, the conservation of energy still applies. As the spring is compressed or stretched, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is then converted back into potential energy as the spring returns to its original shape. The total amount of energy in the system remains constant.

Can the conservation of energy be violated in a spring system?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and applies to all systems, including those involving springs. While energy can be transformed from one form to another, it cannot be created or destroyed. Any apparent violations of this law are due to external factors that are not accounted for in the system.