1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Conservation of Energy

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A proton (charge e, mass = 1.67 * 10^-27 kg) accelerates from rest by crossing a potential difference V = 3.00 V

a.) Find the velocity v_0 it acquires?

(Suppose this proton, having initial velocity v_0 from part (a), moves from very away directly towards a stationary heavy ion which is singly charged, i.e. having the same charge as the proton, +e.)

b.) Find the distance r_min between the proton and the ion at the moment of closest approach?

c.) Find velocity v of a proton when it is at a distance r = 2r_min from the ion

2. Relevant equations

a = (q/m)E

V = kQ/r

V = E*d (parallel plate)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am literally stuck for part a into determining what it could be, it seems something is missing in the problem.

Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

What is the work done on a charge q when it goes from a point with potential V1 to a point with potential V2?
  4. Mar 3, 2008 #3
    work done is the change in potential energy so (V2 - V1)*q?

I was wondering could I just integrate the equation a = (q/m)E into v = (q/m)*V? because electric field is the derivative of potential difference?
  5. Mar 3, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The change in KE is the work done. There's no need to integrate, since it is the potential difference which has been given.

I feel you should go through the basics once more by yourself.
  6. Mar 3, 2008 #5
    I know change in potential energy = -Work

and that change in potential difference is the potential-energy change per unit charge...
    so can't I just set Vq = U and then set that = (1/2)mv^2 and solve for v?
  7. Mar 3, 2008 #6

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

That's the correct way.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?