Conservation of Mechanical Energy

In summary, the problem involves a massless string wrapped around a solid cylinder with a 2kg block hanging from it. Using the conservation of mechanical energy and given values for speed and acceleration, the problem can be solved for the mass of the block. The equation also involves the radius, but it cancels out and is not needed to solve the problem.
Lma12684

Homework Statement

A massless string is wrapped around a solid cylinder as shown in the diagram. A block of mass 2kg hangs from a string. When released, the block falls a distance of 82 cm in 2.0 seconds. Calculate the mass using the conservation of mechanical energy.

Homework Equations

d=speed(i) + 1/2at^2
a=.205 m/s

V(f)=v(i) + at
v(f)=.41 m/s^2

PE=KE(block) + KE(cylinder)
mgy=1/2mv^2 + 1/2(1/2MR^2)(v/r)^2

The problem is that I do not know how to find R? Please help!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lma12684,

I think you neglected the 1/2 in your equation when you calculated a.

For the value of R, what do R and r represent in your final equation?

My apologies, they represent the radius. I didn't mean to use different symbols.

So you can see now why you do not need to know the radius?

Because they cancel??

That looks right; once you correct a and vf I think you can solve the energy equation.

Thank You~!

What is conservation of mechanical energy?

Conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

How is mechanical energy conserved?

Mechanical energy is conserved through the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In a closed system, the initial amount of mechanical energy (kinetic and potential) will remain constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

What are examples of mechanical energy?

Examples of mechanical energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, or a rolling ball. In each of these cases, the system has both kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy due to position or height).

Can mechanical energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of energy, mechanical energy can be transformed into other forms of energy such as thermal, electrical, or chemical energy. This is commonly seen in everyday scenarios, such as when a moving car's kinetic energy is transformed into heat energy due to friction with the road.

How is conservation of mechanical energy relevant to everyday life?

Conservation of mechanical energy is relevant to everyday life as it is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of many physical systems. It helps us understand and predict the motion and behavior of objects, and is essential in the design and functioning of many machines and devices. It also highlights the importance of energy conservation and sustainability in our daily actions.